Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone. I have a 1999 Nissan Sentra XE 1.6L automatic & I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to add the correct amount of shims to the starter in order to adjust starter gear clearance thus preventing a bigger problem. Thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,766 Posts
There were three different starters that were used on the GA16DE. Mitsubishi models - M0T80281ZC, M2T49283ZC; Hitachi model - S114-802A. The Hitachi model did not use any shims. The two Mitsubishi models used shims on the solenoid to adjust the pinion gear depth for proper positioning during starter operation. Here are two available shims: 0.25 mm and 0.50 mm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were three different starters that were used on the GA16DE. Mitsubishi models - M0T80281ZC, M2T49283ZC; Hitachi model - S114-802A. The Hitachi model did not use any shims. The two Mitsubishi models used shims on the solenoid to adjust the pinion gear depth for proper positioning during starter operation. Here are two available shims: 0.25 mm and 0.50 mm.
Not sure which one is on it but will check for sure. Thanks

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
All the years I worked on Nissans, I never had to install shims. In fact, I never even knew they were available, so I learned something new! I do remember that the Mitsubishi starters tended to be reduction gear starters and the Hitachi's were not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts