1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, my starter went out

i bought one from a guy on SR20forum
he sent me one that looks completely different

can anyone help me determine what the problem is?
ive never dealt with the starter on an SR20, so im a complete noob when it comes to this

the original one that was on the car (that went out) is in the red box

the newer one that i bought is in the blue box

the guy i bought it from is saying that these starters are completely inter-changeable...but they look a lot different as you can see

can anyone help?

Attachments

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
It's just a difference in design, if it fits in the engine block and the bolts line up then everything is okay. I'd try to turn the engine from one of the pulleys before you crank the new starter... just to see if the new starter clears the flywheel. Also you'll want to test the new starter while you still have it out.

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the teeth on the flywheel wont even line up (or so my mechanic says)

im having a mechanic do it since ive never done it before

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
but the teeth on the flywheel wont even line up (or so my mechanic says)

im having a mechanic do it since ive never done it before
There's nothing that has to line up but the bolts when you install it... and the pinion gear when you crank the engine. The one you bought has a Hitachi design, the pinion gear just pops out of the starter when you crank the engine. Your original looks a lot like Mitsubishi, Bosch kind cause it has a gear case over the pinion gear. Actually I like the Hitachi design better.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Do you have the same number of teeth on both gears from the starters ? Are they almost the same diameter ? Shape of the teeth doesn't matter much. Then take a tape measure and see how far is the top of the gear from the bolting flange on both. The distance on both starters should be close but not exact.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
You're welcome... anytime.

Why don't you try to install it yourself and skip the mechanic ? It's only two bolts... kindda hard to reach I agree but not impossible. I think you'll find enough information here to install it yourself besides you can always ask questions here and we'll walk you thru the install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah there are two starters for our cars. I had to replace the starter for my 99 g20. I went to courtesy and got a starter from an nx (the nx starter is quieter). one was hitachi and one was mitsubishi. the new starter worked. it was a pain to do the starter myself. if your arms are big, it will be very hard.

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
DallasFMax said:
(the nx starter is quieter)

NX starter is quieter? How? Please explain that comment of yours.

Taking the pass. axle out of the way helps getting the bolts in. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Harris said:
NX starter is quieter? How? Please explain that comment of yours.

Taking the pass. axle out of the way helps getting the bolts in. Good luck.
I have no proof the nx starter being quieter. I was only told this at the dealership. Of course, a brand new starter will always sound quieter than one that is 5 years old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts