Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE. For the past year or so, I have had this problem fairly sporadically, so I haven't pursued it much.

Sometimes when I attempt to start the car, the key will turn in the ignition, but nothing happens, except the a/c, radio, etc. will work. The battery and alternator are both fairly new.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i had a problem similar to yours a while back.......sometimes my car would start fine....sometimes it would start harshly....and sometimes wouldnt even start at all......the starter on my car was bad.......check the ground first tho....does the car start at all? try this......hit the starter, dont break it....just tap it pretty hard, then try starting it, if it starts, therein lies your problem

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car always eventually starts. I usually just have to keep turning the key several times.

We had a similar problem with a 92 Sentra XE I used to have. The Nissan dealer's service department suggested we put the car in neutral (it was an automatic), and then try to start it. That worked every time, so they said it was some "cable" (can't remember what they said it was exactly) and they replaced it and it was fine after that. I have tried that with the 97, but it doesn't work consistently.

I don't want to spend the cash to just go get the starter replaced if that's not the problem, but I am getting tired of screwing with this.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, when the ingnition is in the ON position, can u hear the fuel pump working? just a hunch because my car has been acting up and doesnt start most of the times, due to the fuel pump not getting electricity, so what i did, is i got a cable running directly from the battery and i hooked it up to the cable leading to the pump, connected through a switch, so now, i have to turn on the switch everytime i want to turn the car on or else it wont start, and i have to leave the switch on or else the car will shut down if i disconnect it......weird, some mechanic told me that my problem was the fuel pump, that the circuits in the pump arent getting enough electricity(might be dying) so now i have to replace the pump!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also had a similar problem with my 200SX. I turned the key on and it would just click, sometimes it would'nt make asound at all. I took it to the dealer three times and everytime they replaced the starter. I checked everything, especially the ground. I took it back the fourth and final time and it turned out that I had a bad wire wich connects to the clutch. When you depress the clutch this wire would ground out!! I also had the ignition switch replaced just in case. Works perfect now after four F#$king years!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts