Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my starter about a month ago and now I am having trouble starting my car in cold weather, it will eventually start up if i crank for a long time. It makes a whineing noise when atempting to start. I removed the starter to check the ring gear and it is fine. I did a little research and found that there is a 1.6 MT (Calif) and a 1.6 (Fed) starter, does anyone know if this could cause that kind of problem?

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Ryan_NX said:
I replaced my starter about a month ago and now I am having trouble starting my car in cold weather, it will eventually start up if i crank for a long time. It makes a whineing noise when atempting to start. I removed the starter to check the ring gear and it is fine. I did a little research and found that there is a 1.6 MT (Calif) and a 1.6 (Fed) starter, does anyone know if this could cause that kind of problem?
It sounds like your battery. I had an old 78 Station Wagon, and when I dropped a new die hard battery in, that sucker started right up in super cold weather. Also, check your terminals on the battery. Clean them if they have corrosion on them.

If you go looking for a new battery, look for batteries with lots of cca's or Cold Cranking Amps.

As for starters, there is also one for cars made in mexico (1st three numbers in vin are 3N1) The teeth are spaced differently than the american and japanese made cars, so you need a different flywheel also. I found this out during my first auto->manual swap attempt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new battery so i am almost sure it is the starter, the problem there is i suspect, before I bought the car the engine was overhauled, the VIN number is JN1.... and the car was bought in missouri so I asummed it was the 1.6(FED) started I needed. Maybe if I try the other one out that will work. Thanks for your help.

·
Slashie
394 Posts
Ryan_NX said:
I have a new battery so i am almost sure it is the starter, the problem there is i suspect, before I bought the car the engine was overhauled, the VIN number is JN1.... and the car was bought in missouri so I asummed it was the 1.6(FED) started I needed. Maybe if I try the other one out that will work. Thanks for your help.
Another thing you may want to try is getting an ohm meter and checking the resistance between the battery and the starter. It might be the wires.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The CA starter is direct drive and the FED is gear reduction drive. When I did the automatic to manual swap, I found this inof out. I never did find out WHY, CA is direct drive and FED gear reduction drive.

I have a CA car and used the FED starter, as gear reduction is a better starter then direct drive. No problems with a FED starter on a CA car. It really doesn't matter, either on will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet the starter I have is just shot, I was trying to save a little money and got the salvaged one. I am going to have it tested. It sounds like the gear gets stuck in the flywheel and kills the engine cause after I turn the key off there is a roar coming from my transaxle. Maybe the solinoid in the starter is bad?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts