Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
my dear old sentra suddenly stopped starting. while turning the ignition key i hear the click but the starter nor the engine turns. the lights on the display panel dim's but the car wont start. only the click sound is heard. what can be wrong. if its a starter can I change it myself. its a 1992 nissan sentra 1.6L xe.
thanks in advance
maheshwar kaladar

B

·
0 Posts
mine does the same thing

It clicks, ur started has sized up, take something and whack it.. then try again, if not ... then :(

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I had a Ford Ranger that would do nothing but click like that. I jumped it but all that did was to make it click louder. WTF? So I started to replace the starter but it was a big PITA and I said screw this I "aint" going through the expense/trouble of a new starter. Just for giggles and shi*ts I put the battery from the little woman's car in it, and whatdya know, it fired right up. Turns out the battery was so dead that there was an internal short in it or something and that's why a jump was fruitless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi
can you tell me where i can see the starter from? for the 1992 sentra. is it in the back or front?
thanks

i will try changing the battery before whacking it ;-)

B

·
0 Posts
mk_sentra said:
hi
can you tell me where i can see the starter from? for the 1992 sentra. is it in the back or front?
look near the tranny housing kinda in the back, but more to the middle..

Dont be afraid to whack it :-D!

N

·
0 Posts
i had a similar problem and changing the starter is a pain in the *ss..........try checking everything before u change it, check battery, heck, check the fuse!!!

K

·
0 Posts
If you bang the starter it should free up and start, or get out and push...it works everytime if you have a stick!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi all
yea, whacking the starter did start the car. after sometime I tried firing and killing the ignition. In ten trials the car started 8 times. but the car is fine. will this problem be there in future. is it better to replace the brushes in the starter or replace the starter.\? i dont want to be left stranded somewhere.

Also i see a little leak from the radiator head, but it doesnt look bad, only thing is I see is the green coolant deposit. on the radiator head sometimes.

thanks
mk

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Yes it must be replaced! Sooner or later the "smack" trick will not work and you will be fu*cked.

N

·
0 Posts
nah, dont wait for nothing, go to kragen and get a new starter, its not that expensive, about 80$$, changing it is kinda a biatch, u prolly need two people, its pretty hard, but i didnt wanna pay someone to get the priveledge to work on my car:D so i got my tools and got down on it, and works just fine, sounds a lot better when u start it too:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
samo said:
Just whack the starter with a big wrench, she'll fire right up!
HAHAHA.

I recommend changing the starter as well unless you have a manual where you could just keep popping the clutch. Don't bother replacing the brushes or cleaning it, as the problem will come back again.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Well, of course I recommend you change the starter - the "whack it with a wrench" trick is just an emergency thing, not a permanent solution.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
LOL. whack it with a wrench.

It's funny cause it works. this guy go's outside and starts whacking his engine and it works BETTER. LOL!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
you don't know how many cars showed up at the install bay that didn't start, and yet they wanted a stereo installed, they shook, their oil pressure started, i knew one women who literally carried a screw driver wherever she went and smacked the starter on her honda everytime, i hated it, but i loved working on cars

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
solution found i guess

hi all
guess what? i remove the windshield wiper fuse and the car cranks up. then i drive the car like that for 2 days and when it doesnt start again, i simply keep the fuse back in. sometimes it works with the fuse in and sometimes it fires with the fuse out.
you all might think i am nuts, well that was my first thought, but then when i took it to the mechanic he said there was some wiring problem or some fuse box wires got loose or whatever. so it's ok now. when ever the car doesnt fire up i simply try removing or putting the fuse .
sounds crazy right? ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts