Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forgot to depressurize the fuel system, also no i have to reinstall the motormount to change where i have the jack. hope i didn"t ruin the oil pan as I do have something in between the jack and the pan. Also I have watched many videos of the timing chain placement but still just want to see an exact picture of how it should go so I can replicate it precisely as I think mine is not in the correct position taken apart. also what do I use for seals on puting everything together? do I need to put anything on the water pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am already midway through. tearing it apart but the chains are still on do I take off the sprockets in a certain order?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
I am already midway through. tearing it apart but the chains are still on do I take off the sprockets in a certain order?
Assuming you put the engine in-time at TDC #1 before you started taking everything apart, then start with loosening the cam gear bolts. Then, remove the upper chain tensioner, cam bolts and gears (if you are replacing them). Then you can move to the lower chain and remove the lower chain tensioner, guides and chain. If you need to remove the lower chain sprockets, then you can do that, as well. If you haven't, already, it might be worth taking a look at the procedure in the "EM" (engine mechanical) section of the factory service manual for your vehicle. NICO Club's site allows free access to their online Nissan collection.

As far as seals, you can go with genuine Nissan seals or go aftermarket. I'm assuming you are replacing the timing chains? If so, it's best to get a "timing set," which usually has the timing cover seals along with chains, guides, tensioners, etc. If you have VTC, because of the high cost of it, they will usually not come with the intake cam VTC gear. They also will not come with valve cover gaskets. Some will come with paper gaskets for the timing cover; the cover used RTV sealant from the factory and, personally, I prefer to stick with gray RTV. The water pump also uses RTV for the gasket, although, if you purchase an aftermarket pump, it may come with a paper gasket. It's all a matter of preference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I would typically mark the chains but it was skipping and wasnt in the correct positions anyway they are still on i havent moved them but does it matter if i know where they are supposed to go already and they are all off beat anyway?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,638 Posts
If the timing chain is still on the engine, turn the crankshaft by hand to set the #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and leave it there during disassembly. After the chain assembly is removed, do not attempt to turn the crank; if you do, some valves will get bent. At this point if for some reason you need to turn the crank, first remove both cams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I gotta fix this and if it works for a week I'm happy that's all I need. After a week I can buy a new engine I put in deposit. Someone please help me, I've read everything everywhere but I just still don't quite understand some things. I'm serious need of help, this is my only car, I haven't been able to work in 2 months and I have to get this done by latest tomorrow to make enough my net to not lose my house on the 5th please please please, yes I'm an idiot. But to late now, I'm balls deep. Is anyone in the bay area? Or have some time to walk me through, I'll pay you IDC. I have barely any money but I'll do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I gotta fix this and if it works for a week I'm happy that's all I need. After a week I can buy a new engine I put in deposit. Someone please help me, I've read everything everywhere but I just still don't quite understand some things. I'm serious need of help, this is my only car, I haven't been able to work in 2 months and I have to get this done by latest tomorrow to make enough my net to not lose my house on the 5th please please please, yes I'm an idiot. But to late now, I'm balls deep. Is anyone in the bay area? Or have some time to walk me through, I'll pay you IDC. I have barely any money but I'll do it.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,709 Posts
Well, if the chains skipped, then they may have bent the valves (as already mentioned). If the valves bent, then it isn't going to run at all until you remove the cylinder head and get a valve job done to it. The other option would be a remanufactured head, but neither option is cheap. That also doesn't include replacing the timing chain(s) and gears. It's also a time consuming job, as well. If you need to get to work in the immediate future...and don't take this the wrong way..I would suggest you try to find a cheap rental car that will allow you to get to work and back. I know you're low on money but it doesn't sound like you are going to get this job "wrapped up" in short order. If this is a GA16DE engine, a lot of times what happens is the upper chain tensioner falls apart, which causes the top chain to jump timing; I recommend replacing the upper tensioner every 100K miles for preventative maintenance. Most of the time this happens, the valves bend as it is an interference engine. Worse case scenario, it will damage or strip teeth on one or more of the gears or damage one or more pistons. It might be well worth getting another engine if this is the case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts