Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 1989 S-Cargo running like a top. I had recently rebuilt the carb, adjusted timing and idle mixture and everything was great. I parked it and the next week, went out to start it and it wouldn't idle without constant working of the gas pedal and stalled out anytime I didn't keep giving the pedal a pump. It drives but as soon as I come to a stop, it stalls out. Any suggestions as to where to look? It seems like some kind of fuel related issue but it was just running perfectly a week before. Can a bad fuel pump cause this? I would think if the fuel pump were bad, it wouldn't drive ok. This car is built on a Sentra platform with an E15 engine. Slightly different carb (E15S). I have replaced many vacuum hoses so I don't think there are any vacuum leaks within the hoses. Between the hoses and relays on this thing, it's hard to know where to look for a problem. All suggestions welcome.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
The most common cause is dirt in the carb, but I would confirm proper fuel pressure, first. Back in the late-80s, I had to pull the tops off the Hitachi carbs on these engines and clean them out all the time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try cleaning again and check the pressure. It seems odd that it would be running perfectly right up to the time of being parked and then after just sitting a week, not start or idle correctly. You'd think it would have started failing while running before being parked since no more gas was flowing to it. What is clogging them up? Is it the recycled crankcase gases?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
At the time (1980's), another Nissan tech and I discussed it and our thoughts were that possibly the ethanol in the gas and possibly other detergents were breaking down the dirt so fine that it was passing through the fuel filter media and making its way to the carb, because a lot of the dirt we were finding was found in the screen at the carb inlet. Now, we had no proof that was the case, but it just seem coincidental that not long after ethanol started to be added to the gas that we suddenly had problems with the Hitachi carbs getting clogged. So, it's anybody's guess...and I can't say for sure that it's what's happening with your vehicle. I'm just letting you know what caused a lot of the problems with these cars "back in the day."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice! Yes, that makes sense. Curse that ethanol gas. I can't find any straight unadulterated gas around these parts. I wonder if adding some injector/carb cleaner to the tank of gas would help dissolve some of the dirt or just exacerbate the problem? Was there any particular area that you found clogged up in the carb other than the screen?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts