Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard about the VE engines. both a 1.6 and a 2.0, similar to the Vtech. but what i want to know is where can we get these engines? i've decided that i want a SR20VE in my Sentra, not right now, for future project. but i know nothing about how this engine will fit in the B13.

Does anyone out there have this engine? Done a swap? ir is it so new that its too expensive to do at this time???

i'm looking for more info please!

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so we can expect the VE series to be more common place, or easier accesable withen a few years.

P.S. i don't have much experience with the VE/ VEtech style engine. i testdrove a new Celica GT once, the thing felt slow as dog. its only rated for 140hp (per dealer statement), but there was no personality to the engine. like on my ga you can slowly add pedal pressure and the engine will speed up. on the celica, nothing happened, it just accelerated at the same monotone rate. given i never jammed on the gas, it was a dealers new car. barely over ten miles on the thing. it was an auto as well but i don't think that would matter too much, so is my car. While my car may be slow. its still fun to drive.

but my point is is there really a double personality to these engine styles? all go or no show? i tend to enjoy the start slow and speed up throttle response of my GA16DE. not from the powerband, but from slowly adding pedeal pressure. that kind of engine personality makes an engine fun to drive.

Z

·
0 Posts
The Celica GT doesn't use variable valve timing (or VVT-i in Toyota's case). You're thinking of the Celica GTS, which does use VVT-i.

With the SR20VE motor there's a noticable switchover point. Last one I saw dynoed made 170-something HP at the wheels, pretty much completely stock.

if you really want a VE engine, try talking to SR20 Development. They've installed VEs in a few cars now. I will tell you right up front that you will go faster with a DET. Absolutely no question there.

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
ScarCrow28 said:
I recently heard about the VE engines. both a 1.6 and a 2.0, similar to the Vtech. but what i want to know is where can we get these engines? i've decided that i want a SR20VE in my Sentra, not right now, for future project. but i know nothing about how this engine will fit in the B13.

Does anyone out there have this engine? Done a swap? ir is it so new that its too expensive to do at this time???

i'm looking for more info please!
\\

did you check out this months NPM i think there was a b13 with the ve swap!!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Turbos may bring in the power, but i'm still one of those old fashoned N A guys. to me a car is more respectable if it can hold its own without the help of forced induction/steriod gadgets.
Yeah, but you're talking about the world of 4 cylinder engines, now. It's a little different than V8 land. But I understand where you're coming from. It's just that in the 4 cylinder arena, displacement does not reign supreme. Forced induction does. And for the record, VVL is one of those "steroid gadgets" you were referring to... it's a variable valve timing and lift system. Will that make the SR20VE less respectable? :D

Oh, and yes, the driving experience is substantially different in a Celica GTS compared to a Celica GT. Probably worth a full second in the 1/4 mile.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i don't think of it as a gadget. its all internal, and doesn't force pump air into the engine. power is right away, you don't have to wait for it to kick in.
besides i'm not looking for a track car. i'm looking for a good back road touring car thats tame for crusing. but can leap when it wants to.

now, that i think of it, a 20VE might be too much power for what i want, i may settle for a 16VE. i just remembered how expensive tires would be to keep that power sticking.

NOTE: after checking out the black ser in the mag, i noticed he is said to swap to SR16VE cams. on a SR20VE, isn't that a downgrade???

·
Registered
125 Posts
no---it actually increases power. I do not remember what forum it was on. I think it was on the forum at sr20deforum.com. There is a guy there that sells them and helps with info on installing them.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
the 16ve and the 20ve are the same block just different compression ratios and diff stoke
taking the 16 cams and putting them into the 20 will yield about 15whp over the stock 20. the 2.5in exhaust is good for ~12whp all in all you are looking at an engine that baseline will put more to the ground than ITR
all this information can be found on sr20deforum.com

when you get serious they can help
O

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally, the SR20 website is woking again for me. i don't know why i couldn't log on last week. there were a number of other sites including yahoo that wouldn't work either. the problem seems to be fixed now. i think it was a problem with the cable company. i wouldn't put it past them, i have to go through Adelphia, and if youve been following the news lately.......

anyway like you guys said, there is tons of goodies on those engines in that forum. i'm diffinetly taking a few days to browse through

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
selrider99 said:
can i put a sr20ve in my 99 sentra se automatic and will it cost more..... i get back a nice tax return check and wanted to know if this can be done with my auto car!!!!!! i rather go ve then det....
you could but i wouldn't recommend it. your tranny is not equipped to handle the power and trying to do an auto upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

anything is possible but plan on spending atleast as much as you would for a det seeing as ve's run $2500 just for the engine
O

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
i mean i have no other option.... i want a manual car but my wife does not and i can't afford another car and ins..... so you are saying i would be better off going with the det swap instead....
i am sure they come with the ecu and tranny if i buy it from the right place.....Do you know if they import them for auto's?

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
actually the ve is off a auto tranny car.

*opinion* leave the se stock and try to pick up another car

think about it like this
$2k for tranny
$1K for the clutch
$2-3K for the engine
$1k for mis. stuff
$1k (optional) for install

or buy a $2k classic
$1k for clutch and ecu
$3k for ve
$1k for mis. other

or subsitute the classic for a 240sx

your choice autos are an uphill battle but it can be done
get an engine from andres Miko (search here for his phone number)

finally and most importanly research for atleast 2months before you start

o

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i can't speak for selrider, but i've heard enough about "doing that is not logical because its cheaper to do this" frankly to me that just goes aganst the idea of building your own hot rod. i'm looking to do it the way i want to (93 Sentra 4dr XE-R), because i don't want to join the bandwagon and buy an ser just because its cheaper.

my reasons for persuing my project XE-R:

1. Swaps/ tuning/ preformance mods are not ever done in a 4dr.

2. doing it in a 4dr, upgrades the "sleeper" look to the max.

3. my 93 XE is the first and so far only car i have ever owned. after i have given it such a rough teenage novice driver life, and not complaning one bit, i'd figure i do something nice with the car.

4. lack of turbos equalls lack of anyone thinking this car can kick some ass. a very good sleeper trait. great for surprises. Turbos are a dead give away to a power surgeing engine. visual or audio.

5. i'm a automotive nut, i have always wanted to tinker with cars but no automotive gurus in my family were able to teach/help me with anything. so when i do buy another or new car, this one is going into the status of "Weekend Hobby Car" or "that car that so and so is workin on in his garage for two years."

6. when i'm done i'll have a completely restored car. i'll have just as much pride as those who put so much time and effort into their classic mustangs, camaros, 38 fords etc....

7. it represents a "passing of the tourch" for a new generation of custom hot rods.

8. every one says i'm cazy to do it and it isn't logical. i should just save my money and put it towards a new car.

9. a good new car doesn't have the same Sentamental Value. which is why i cherrish my XE so much.

10. Life is short, Regreats are evil. i just plain, want to do it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts