Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just looking at options here, i have a SR20DE 96 200sx SE-R, what are the pro's and con's of a SR20VE swap? I'd want to go turbo with it, is it just a bulletproof as the SR20DE engine is? What kind of aftermarket parts are there for the SR20VE that would go well with a turbo setup? I mean if i did do this swap, i'd go all out with it.

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
just get your SR compression tested and do a leak down

if all is good, turbo it

its cheaper, easier, and better power than the VE

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Terran200sx said:
i'm just looking at options here, i have a SR20DE 96 200sx SE-R, what are the pro's and con's of a SR20VE swap? I'd want to go turbo with it, is it just a bulletproof as the SR20DE engine is? What kind of aftermarket parts are there for the SR20VE that would go well with a turbo setup? I mean if i did do this swap, i'd go all out with it.
Pros:
200WHP without turbo.
Cons:
High initial cost
Must use VE ECU and harness
No aftermarket parts

Check this out.

Lew

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lshadoff said:
Pros:
200WHP without turbo.
Cons:
High initial cost
Must use VE ECU and harness
No aftermarket parts

Check this out.

Lew
They're not very helpful over there. i assume it's a DOHC right? Cost aside, is it more power with not much of a tradeoff? I mean, i assume i can get new headers, a better exaust, UR pulleys, i.e the works for it. I really want something interesting with alot of power, so a VE looked like a good answer.

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
the VE is definitely an interesting and cool motor

but if you're going for big power, and trying to save some money, turbo is the better of the two options you listed

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Radioaktiv said:
the VE is definitely an interesting and cool motor

but if you're going for big power, and trying to save some money, turbo is the better of the two options you listed
Well, what about turboing the VE? I'm not that worried about the cost. Can i still make big power? it just seems like a turbo VE would be awesome, it would just pull so hard..

·
even better the 2nd time
2,719 Posts
IMO you'd be basically throwing money down the drain

I cant tell you what to do, but a DET with a few mods is more than enough for most people

take a ride sometime in a ~300hp car that weighs around 2500lbs

you dont have to make insane power to have fun in these cars

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Terran200sx said:
They're not very helpful over there. i assume it's a DOHC right? Cost aside, is it more power with not much of a tradeoff? I mean, i assume i can get new headers, a better exaust, UR pulleys, i.e the works for it. I really want something interesting with alot of power, so a VE looked like a good answer.
Did you search the section? I am sure they have already answered every question you have.

Lew

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Terran200sx said:
I have, and it still leaves me with questions as to wheather or not it's a reasonable goal.
Reasonable is up to you, no one can really tell you if it's reasonable or not, for your needs. They can only give you suggestions and facts about the topic.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i thought the VE was more for NA set ups and the de was better for turbo. the ve has higher stock compression i thought hence it is better for na. the de has lower compression and you can boost it more. so getting the ve to boost would almost be counter productive because to run higher boost you will need to lower the stock compression.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1.6pete said:
i thought the VE was more for NA set ups and the de was better for turbo. the ve has higher stock compression i thought hence it is better for na. the de has lower compression and you can boost it more. so getting the ve to boost would almost be counter productive because to run higher boost you will need to lower the stock compression.

See those are the type of things i want to know, is that really the case?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's really my question.

1.Is it as solid a motor as the DE?
2.Is it good to turbo? (i.e. can it run 20psi stock like the DE?)
3.Is there any pitfalls i should be aware of?

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i did some more reading (you got me interested, im a fan of learning) and it seems the ve stands for "VVL" nissan answer to "Vtec" and isnt vtec the reason honda's kinda suck boosted? you can tune a normal cam setup much better than one that is variable.

the DE is a simple motor, bomb proof really, the VE is nissan all motor beast.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
honda aren't good to boost because compression i believe.. heres the thing bout the ve motor, first off its a pain to install due to the modifications of sensors and small stuff like that... its not just drop that beotch in.... its a very good motor, but most of the power is high end, but its goin to be hard to find a ve ecu, you can jwt to reprogram, but i believe the can't raise the rev limiter that high, so you are wastin power... if you want a real ve header, you will have to get a fujitisubo or however its spell, cuz the hotshot one is a tad too small for the ports so it will chock it.. but you are better off doing a turbo kit or running a blue bird and gtir motor

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1.6pete said:
i did some more reading (you got me interested, im a fan of learning) and it seems the ve stands for "VVL" nissan answer to "Vtec" and isnt vtec the reason honda's kinda suck boosted? you can tune a normal cam setup much better than one that is variable.

the DE is a simple motor, bomb proof really, the VE is nissan all motor beast.
It really is a beast, hence the reason i want one.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
^you do realize how much work and money he has put into it... no one on the forum will deny that the ve motors are a beast, but in the US parts are hard to come by.. thats why we suggest the det

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
psuLemon said:
^you do realize how much work and money he has put into it... no one on the forum will deny that the ve motors are a beast, but in the US parts are hard to come by.. thats why we suggest the det
but... i like a challenge.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
i hope you have a deep wallet, cuz you will need it.. its an amazing motor, everyone will love it, but it will be a big hassle.. look into correctin valve float which new jwt springs and retainers.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts