Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. i bought my 91 sentra about 6 or 7 months ago now and i've done nothing but repair it. i've put 1500$ into repairing now and i still havent touched the transmission that needs a 3rd gear syncro and 5th gear is completely gone.

So i need to know what exactly i need to do and what i need to get as far as getting and making the sr20det work. what exact motor do i need to get, what is the prefered site to get it from, what i'll have to do to make it work in my car or if i'll even be able to get it to work in my car?

any comments welcome, i just need some good information about it all. thank you to all that help.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not sure where to get it from, but I know you'll need an engine, tranny, harness, ecm, and motor mounts for the SR20. Everything is different from the GA16.

Most people swap in an engine from the Bluebird.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hear ya on the repairs. My 91 XE has been sitting for the last 9 years and I finally got it in the shop last month - and it's finally ready tomorrow. New and used parts was about $1500 and the labor was $1200, and I still need to get the struts and springs installed (another $250). This car is a money pit.

Like the other person said, in order to get the 2.0L engine to work in your Sentra, you'll pretty much need the entire front end, including the tranny, clutch, axels, ECU, harness, instrument cluster, etc etc. From my research, it's more than $5,000, and that doesn't include install. That would be another $3000 at least. It would be cheaper to get a working SE-R, but I always look at it like this, what am I going to do with two Sentra's? I probably wouldn't get $1000 for this car and that would after I just dumped over $2500 in it to get it working again? For less than $8,000 you can get a nice used 300ZX turbo. Hell, you can get a lot of cars for under 8k.

IMO, the better solution would be to get the 1.6L turbo. You can find the turbo kit at various places including these:

Turbo Specialties Turbo Kit Applications

Extreme Performance Turbo Package - Turbo Specialties

Remember, you don't need the intercooler, however, you will have better performance and more HP if you do have one; save you about a grand if you don't get one. My only gripe is that every 2 years, I would have to remove it in order to pass smog. Power increase isn't that great with the turbo, but hey, it'll be more power than a standard 2.0 for much less than the engine swap.

Edit -

Sorry about the rant above. If you want the SR20DET engine, you can get one here for about $1500
JDM Engine Corp Engine Details - JDM RB20DET Turbo Nissan Skyline / Silvia / 240SX Engine Swap

Also search on Google for SR20DET or JDM Engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts