Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i need help! I have a plain 91' sentra E model and i know i can convert it to a 12sec car but i cant figure out what engine i need to complete this project. i know i need a sr20det but which, bluebird sr20 costs $2600 and the GTi-R costs $3400(without trans). this should be a fairly ez project because i have got the sr20 trans and i can get the JWT ECU and cams is there anything else that i need to do the swap????

·
Registered
166 Posts
You probably should contact JGYcustoms.com
I bet you can get that GTIR motor cheaper. Just send Jason an EMail. Joel

·
Now a spec V guy
112 Posts
my bb det came from jgycustoms as well, hell of a good guym with good service.

Brian

Z

·
0 Posts
yeah, $2600 for a BB DET seems awfully expensive. You can make a BB DET into a 12 second car, but not with the stock turbo. You'll have to get a bigger turbo, but other than that the BB DET is perfectly capable of going into the 12s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Zak91SE-R said:
yeah, $2600 for a BB DET seems awfully expensive. You can make a BB DET into a 12 second car, but not with the stock turbo. You'll have to get a bigger turbo, but other than that the BB DET is perfectly capable of going into the 12s.
i run [email protected] on the stock t25 on my BBdet. im running 8.3:1 compression, jwt s3 cams, hks front mount, ur pullies and a couple othe bolt-ons but it can be done by pushing the turbo. this was on drag radials also.

if i were to do this again i would just build a de for turbo-duty. its cheaper in the long run for someone wanting to make serious hp. why waiste $2500 on a motor that you are just going to replace every piece of in time?
shawn

Z

·
0 Posts
To make a stock DET run a 12 second time would require pushing the T25 past its peak efficiency. It won't last long doing that... you could get away with it with a T28 though.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
You're right Zak about pushing that T25. Continuously pushing it past 12psi will yield your seal showing you what it's been sealing (oil). Been there, done that; but if you are curious to see how they act while being pushed out of it's efficiency range, then I encourage you to give it a swing. The GTi-R's SR20 is a bit more stronger than the bluebird's. No doubt the T28 is a better hairdryer than t25 (If this is what you are referring to "ccroaddog"

·
Registered
479 Posts
that is what i was looking for thanks a lot. Whats your best guess on a price for GTI-R swap with front mount intercooler and boost controler with temp gauges. I want the system to run flawless and for a long time. thanks

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
sentra_ga16det said:
i need help! I have a plain 91' sentra E model and i know i can convert it to a 12sec car but i cant figure out what engine i need to complete this project. i know i need a sr20det but which, bluebird sr20 costs $2600 and the GTi-R costs $3400(without trans). this should be a fairly ez project because i have got the sr20 trans and i can get the JWT ECU and cams is there anything else that i need to do the swap????
ouch where did u get those prices???

from me the BB is 1500 and the GTi-R is $2250

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
On this end, we get 'em a little cheaper because everyone here goes for the Bluebird model. The GTi-r I've seen go as little as $1600.00 and the bluebird for as little as $1200.00 .The thing is it's all about timing/ being in the right place, cash in hand and ready to deal. To set up your own GTi-r with all the toys you mentioned, you shouldn't have to spend over $2500.00. But not everyone can get engines and components at "crack-head" prices so do some shopping and take your time. (don't get screwed). Those engines are getting old and there's no need for you to be paying $2000+ for a 10yr old +/- engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i was quoted a price of about $5000 for the engine and installed. no extras. is this too much? it was in LA, torrance at signal auto.

the guy there, i cant remember his name, told me that a gti-r motor would problaby break an axle. i have never heard of this before. i was more worried about third gear. if i do go the gti-r route, and i dont plan on going too much over stock psi(12psi), would i still have to worry about the axles?

how hard/expensive would it be to add oil squirters and individual throttle bodies to an engine that doesnt have them?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
how hard/expensive would it be to add oil squirters and individual throttle bodies to an engine that doesnt have them?
I wouldn't waste the time even messing around with quad throttle bodies because it's expensive and if your not using an aftermarket ecu it will be a pain in butt. You really don't need oil squirters, so once again don't waste your time because if you don't fuel the engine right, it's going to go boom with or without oil squirters.
i was quoted a price of about $5000 for the engine and installed. no extras. is this too much?
About 2 years ago, I would say go for it, but the SR20 ain't no supra motor and ain't no way it should be more than a 2JZ ($1800.00 around here w/tranny).
the guy there, i cant remember his name, told me that a gti-r motor would problaby break an axle.
That guy was jangling your nuts when he told you this;) the tranny will go before the axles. He want you to believe that the Gti-r motor is a wicked-beast of an engine to lure you in for the gank. The SR20det rather it be bluebird or GTi-r is an exceptional motor for an upgrade, but it's 12 years old too and some people are still trying cash in on the exoticism of the SR20DET. Hell, if your going to spend money, go get an FMAX kit and boost an SR20 DE. Screw the GTi-r motor if there going to be trying to rip you off like that.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
third gear #8!!!!!
Ouch, that gotta hurt! Even if you are good at repairing tranny's. that must really suck. Luckily for you, it's not that big of an issue, but taking that tranny out over and over again sucks, too. I know because I've done it already for a friend 3 times and though it's not too hard, it sucks.
let just say i can rebuild sr20 trannys with my eyes closed.
My hats off to you in this department:) Some of these kids on this forum spend up their school or lunch money or even run up their credit cards to buy these SR20DET's and not realizing that the very component that makes the SR20 set-up so efficient (tranny and gear ratio), is the very same component that makes them miserable. My advice to you "DOHCslide" open up a repair shop for SR20 FWD/RWD trannies and I guarantee you'll be getting paid.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I can't really say how much is too much, but force shifting can help destroy the tranny. Shifts should be smooth and quick, but accurate as well. The SR tranny is the red-headed stepchild of nissan trannies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ga16 motor

i have a question over the ga16 motor. this morning i was driving and in 1st gear when i shift into 2nd my car makes a rattling sound i took it to the mechanic and he said that the prob was internal ive got 172000 miles on the motor right now. i need to know if anybody has had this prob?? and one other thing, LIUSPEED where and when can you get me a bb det or GTi-R motor? and what rpm does the ga16 redline at because my tach says 7500 does it go higher or lower???

·
Registered
28 Posts
shaolin_racer said:
how much torque would it take to break third gear?

are j-spec trannies any stronger?
the common rule of thumb is 200 whp and you are in danger of blowing a third gear. the primera tranny from the p10 is the same tranny from an se-r but a while back someone on the mailing list said that the jdm tranny weighs 10lbs more. i would love to get my hands on one and open it up, im interested in where this extra 10 lbs is located. and as far as "banging gears" being the cause of stripped gears, thats crap because every time ive blown one up its been a mid-gear roll on the gas thing. kind of like lag, lag, lag, boost, bang!
shawn
91 classic
http://hometown.aol.com/butterglry/

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Thanks for the correction, shawn as I'm sure you would know (from experience) what it takes to break an SR tranny. but lag, lag, lag, boost and bang must really suck...............no fun

1 - 20 of 44 Posts