Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Platinum
498 Posts
150hp is what Nissan claims.

Long story. All Primera JDM SR20 motor HP is rated 150 hp. But Nissan did make changes on Primera SR20DE motors several times in past.

I say 150 is the number Nissan claims, but earlier version SR20DE probablly had more than 150hp. Back in 1990, Nissan used the first generation SR20DE engine in P10 Primera. That engine came with tubular stainless steel equal length exhaust manifold. The cam profile was pretty agressive for factory motor. (248 in 10mm /240 ex 9.2mm). Only first generation SR20DE motor came with sodium filled valves seen on DET motor. In September 92, when second generation SR20DE came out, sodium filled valves were no longer on that motor. In 1994 when P10 got the final minor change, Nissan took off the nice stainless steel manifold and changed to cast iron exhaust manifold instead.

When new P11 Primera came out back in 1995, Nissan made the another changes on that motor. If you look at the intake manifold, that's the biggest difference. Yup, that's the famours "high port->low port" thing. They lowered the Redline from 7500 > 7000 also. The new engine came with roller rocker arms with newer/weaker cam profile (240 in / 232 ex). So those are all 150HP motors, but First generation SR20DE was obviously the fastest and had most power. They all came with 10.0:1 high compression pistons with ECU with agressive fuel map and require 100 octane premium gas.

I knew this for some reason and just wanted to share this info.

· ex-Super *********
1,704 Posts
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
Under certain conditions exhaust gets pumped into the intake. Why?? To lower combustion temps which leads to lower NOX emissions.
Have a nice day :)

· Registered
214 Posts
Re: 150hp is what Nissan claims.

CarbonBlack200 said:
Long story. All Primera JDM SR20 motor HP is rated 150 hp.
That's 150 ps, not hp. Small difference, but a difference none the less.

CarbonBlack200 said:
Only first generation SR20DE motor came with sodium filled valves seen on DET motor.
Do you have documentation of this? If so, please cite it. I am completely unaware of any SR20DE that ever came with sodium filled valves. I believe this is a DET only item.

CarbonBlack200 said:
When new P11 Primera came out back in 1995, Nissan made the another changes on that motor. If you look at the intake manifold, that's the biggest difference. Yup, that's the famours "high port->low port" thing. They lowered the Redline from 7500 > 7000 also.
Actually, it's 7100 rpm.

CarbonBlack200 said:
The new engine came with roller rocker arms
Not initially.

CarbonBlack200 said:
They all came with 10.0:1 high compression pistons with ECU with agressive fuel map and require 100 octane premium gas.
That would be 100 RON. It's quite different from US pump gas octane number. Our pump octane numbers are (r+m)/2, or in other words, and average of research octane number and motor octane number. Gasoline with a 100 ROM is probably about the same as our US 93 octane.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I believe this is a DET only item
not only is this a DET only item... it was ONLY the Pulsar GTi-R that got these. The bluebird has standard exh. valves. I cannot say forsure on the RWD DET's.

· Platinum
498 Posts
Sodium filled valves

Geo said:
Do you have documentation of this? If so, please cite it. I am completely unaware of any SR20DE that ever came with sodium filled valves. I believe this is a DET only item.
RASport said:
not only is this a DET only item... it was ONLY the Pulsar GTi-R that got these. The bluebird has standard exh. valves. I cannot say forsure on the RWD DET's.
S15 Autech Silvia SR20DE (non turbo) has sodium filled valves. I got that info from Autech homepage. I was reading the Nissan Primera SR20DE tuning magazine from Japan and it said first two years, SR20DE came with sodium filled valves also. Since they are written in my native language, I am pretty sure I didn't misunderstand that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sr20VE

if I am not mistaken, the last few years of the G20, they have been using the sr20VE in thier car. Im not too positive on this, but Im sure that th HP rating is 180 right?
correct me if I am wrong. But if your searching for extra ponies, and also more ponies to start with before mods, why dont we use that engine. the dimensions are practically the same as the SR20. I think it would jujst BOLT IN!
that is what I would do.

by the way. If this is all as true as I think it is, My aging 91 SE-R could really use one.:D

· Registered
296 Posts
If your gona do an engine swap why not get the SR20DET engine. It will cost more but its got 200 HP and thats standard. You could have 250 HP with a few other mods. Header, s3 cams, JWT ECU upgrade, CAI. Costs more but more power so i guess you get what you pay for. Im looking to do an angine swap my SR20 for the DET next summer. Ive calculated around 3500 bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well, what about an SR20VE NEO VVL!
that right there is 190hp NA! that would be alot more reliable than a turbo charged engine.

· Registered
296 Posts
I guess your right there but the SR20DET engine is very strong and everyone i know that has one says they have no problems with there turbo. With the SR20VE you could put a turbo on that and have a great amount of horsepower. If your after NA then thats got to be the best option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
not tryin to diss u geo but have u seen luispeed's old car-just a question out of the blue-why do people have to be so technical-if it is asked to be broken down then break it down other than that just say in plain out simple english ya heard. Nah we all friends and all part of the nissan family so no hard feelings to anyone. peace

p.s.-if you were joking with him then this reply actually should be scrapped and i should shutup, sitdown, and listen with a smirck with my arms crossed b/c i feel like a fool now(wait I am a fool-oh well)

· Registered
472 Posts
well, what about an SR20VE NEO VVL!
Good luck trying to find the solenoids and the engine. I turbo'd my DE and it will be very hard for me to go back to NA. The power/money factor is much better for a turbo car. I have the S3's which cost about $550 and they give me 20+ hp, name me a mod for a NA SR20 that will give you that much hp for that price.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
sr20racer said:
I turbo'd my DE and it will be very hard for me to go back to NA. The power/money factor is much better for a turbo car. I have the S3's which cost about $550 and they give me 20+ hp, name me a mod for a NA SR20 that will give you that much hp for that price.:D
Proof? I have never seen a before/after dyno chart of S3s with a small turbo like a T25 or T28. I do know that on big turbos, up to 50whp have been gained.

· Registered
472 Posts
I read that somewhere but I don't have a dyno chart to show it. I will tell you that I have a friend that has a DET w:

XS FMIC
Cold air SET UP
50 lb injectors
Cobra MAF
JWT ECU
ACT clutch
AVCR at 1 bar (14PSI)

and my car with HS fmic,T25,cams and my car at stock boost is faster than his, and that is with the DE ECU. So, I wonder what made the difference?

· Autech SR20 on the way
134 Posts
Had to hire a top necromancer to dig this sucker of a thread up from the grave...
The reason I've dragged thsi thread back to life is this:
I'm buying a JDM SR20DE Autech from an N15 Pulsar that was dyno-d as 113kw at the wheels before half of the car was squashed. The engine, loom and ecu are all ok thankfully. This was the only thread I could find with references to the Autech factory. So, hopefuly, once the engine arrives here from New Zealand I'll be able to post all the info I've been teased with while I've been saving to buy the motor.

So far, I'm told this engine has a far more agressive cam profile, sodium filled valves and an 11:1 compression. I'm also told its redline is closer to 8000rpm though I am not certain of that yet.

Anyway, stay tuned, I'm looking forwrd to providing more info.

cheers
Mark

· Autech SR20 on the way
134 Posts
Chuck said:
is it modded?
No, the 113fw-kw is stock. all those extras I listed are stock Autech items. So, I wonder what I'll actually be able to do to this once I have it in my car and get hit with the modding bug again. It's so well tuned stock that I dont know where to take it other than maybe decompress and turbo. [insert wicked evil laughter - and then takes out life insurance]

· Registered
73 Posts
ballistic said:
now..... it would be interesting to take a se-r and MAKE it rear wheel... take alot of modifications... but I would like to see it done...

It can be done. But what's even better is making a 94 and older sentra AWD.
Now that I'd like to see. 94 because of independent suspensiong easier to work with.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.