Nissan Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive got a 94 sr20 with 148k and it still runs strong and if that 150k thing is true oh well more reason i have to take apart the motor and build a race car but i wouldnt go with the new one there just a little to big to be a true sports car

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll chip in with the story of the motor in my Classic that is now a race car. The original motor threw a rod at 70K miles. I would suspect low oil was the cause of that, but I was a monkey then and didn't know what rod knock sounded like and only head the knocking about a minute before it threw the rod. Had a motor with 40K thrown in and drove it with mild bolt ons until 160K, when I put a HotShot turbo kit on it. I drove it for 60K more miles with the turbo, and I upped the boost to 12psi where the MAF and injectors top out and detonation can occur (which it did several time due to the shitty Deltagate wastegate the car had on it). While the turbo kit was on, I lent the car to a guy at an Open Track event at Willow Springs. I neglected to tell him to watch the temps, and the car overheated to the point of loosing power (Zak was in the car, too). He did a cool down lap and brought it in and it ran fine after that. I took the turbo kit off, stripped the car and turned it into a race car. It raced the entire season without a problem until Vegas in August, when the car overheated again. I backed off a bit and kept the car at 3/4, but I think that finally hurt the motor. The motor has about 210K miles on it. I just dropped it Monday and it seems to have had a lot of blow by (the intake is full of oil). I bought another engine from Soko (www.soko.com) and it is going in the car today for a 12 hour enduro next weekeknd :)

I think these are very tough little motors, just keep them full of oil and don't overheat them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
263,000 miles and still counting. these S4's rock man

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i know a guy who got his dads nx2000, for his 16 birthday, it had 40,000km on it, had it fully bolted up within a few months(50,000km), and ran it like that for 100,000km, it is now around 150,000 km runs perfectly its very fast, he claims it gets 190WHP but i am not sure about that anyways he redlines it everytime he takes it out, so there ya go, a engine that is fully bolted up has 150,000km and is redlined nearly everyday many times, and the key to all this is oil changes, and keep up with the little things, this guy is crazy like that, oil changes every 3500km, thats like 2000 miles...
about the WHP thing though, waht does a fully bolted SR20DE put to the ground anyways speciafiacally in a 1991NX2000 he claims 190WHP?????

·
Registered
354 Posts
well what do you call a "fully bolted up SR20" i would say that he will put down no more than 160whp max, unless he has invested thousands of dollars in the motor. one guy (andreas miko) on sr20deforums is putting down a little over 200whp but he has bored the block to accecpt 90mm pistons and aftermarket intake with "C" series JWT cams and a whole slew of other stuff that he has done to his engine, and has about 6 grand in his motor (all motor, no turbo or nitrous). so having 190whp from a N/A engine that just has bolt ons is a stretch. i think your buddy is fibbing to you:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Durability is not a question with SR20's unless they have been absolutely abused. You shouldn't have any trouble with the engines in any of those cars. The 99 is a Sentra SE right? The SR20 is a long running production Engine that lasted 10 years here in the states and saw duty in SE-R's, SE's, and Infiniti G20's. In Japan, it is turbocharged, so it has to be built strong. It uses forged parts where it's competition uses cast. Stock bottom ends have been known to support 500 hp. I don't know if there is a stronger 4 cylinder, 2.0 L motor...If you take care of it, it'll go way past 200,000 miles.

who ever wrote this please me the forged parts on the sr20 the rods and crank are shotpeened but not forged the pistons are cast.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
durability SR20.....

199K original motor. Change oil every 3-4K. unless you abuse it, it should last the life of the car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i know im a little off on the subject but im knew so just bear with me a but. ok the 03 spec has a qr20 engine in. is there a way to get a spec with the sr20 instead. they seem to be alot better the the qr's. cuz im bout to buy one and im keepin it for ever i guess and i plan to heavily modifiy it with time. but ppl r sayin that thet cant take more than 240whp and that seems kinda weak. and the sr20 can take 400whp. so what can i do bout it?? how can i get a sr20 in an 03 spec?? is it possible?? pm if u want.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Why'd they stop makin the SR20DE? I think i have the last of the SR's. I bought an 01 SE w/auto and pp w/31k on it for $10k.

·
Doodeee doodee doodee doo
1,495 Posts
They still make it, but not for the sentra. SR20s are still current in Nissan Serena Vans in my country... which makes me pretty happy, because i plan on reswapping maybe five years down the road... :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts