Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this all starts a couple months ago. First let me tell you what I know about my car which isnt much. 92 240 coupe. Red top sr20, greddy turbo, greddy fmic, koyo radiator, tial-a-lite elcintric fans SAFC, HKS turbo timer, manual boost controller, and thats all I can see really. I previous owner never gave me a parts list or told me anything really.
Anyways, a couple months ago the motor/turbo starting bogging down really badly at 3/4 to full boost. If I could even hit full boost. I've been keeping it around 13 psi. So I changed the spark plugs and it worked beautifully. Fast as hell. Well about 2 1/2 months later it started to do it again, So I bought some iridiums. Immediately under my attempt to go full boost it bogged out worse than ever. I've ried a few different spark plugs and the same thing happens every time. Immediately they foul out. They turn a red color instread of black. So today I checked for boost leaks and found one and fixed it in the intercooler piping. Take it out for a run and bam same damn thing. Now I'm kinda clueless. I'm thinking its eaither A
A. It could still be because I havnt changed the spark plugs since I fixed the leak and the ones I have in are fouled.
B. My CAS is off, but I dont know anyhting about that
or C. My timing skipped a tooth or something.
Granted the probloem is much better now that I fixed the boost leak and nearly perfect in 1st and 2nd gear. Now I'm worried it could be something real pricey or bad. HELP PLEASE~!:newbie:

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,225 Posts
If your plug porcelain is getting peppered and turning red, then the motor is detonating severely. Either the motor is running extremely lean or the ignition timing is highly advanced. Better fix it ASAP or the motor will go heaven real fast!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and the porcelin isnt turning red, it's not realy doing much. It's the tip. Uhm I dont know what it's called. I'll try to get a picture of a plug up soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and what should my boost gauge be reading at idle? My boost gauge is in barstoo... thanks Greddy. Right now it's reading about -490 mm/hg

·
7,225 Posts
Oh and what should my boost gauge be reading at idle? My boost gauge is in barstoo... thanks Greddy. Right now it's reading about -490 mm/hg
At idle, the gauge will be reading a vacuum, which in your case is -490 mm/hg; that's about right.

·
7,225 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts