Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SR16VE into 98 sentra w/ GA motor?

alright, i'm new in nissan forums, altho i've been a nissan gear head for some time. anyways my question is that i've heard great things and have done much research on the SR16VE from japan, and i wanted to know if anyone has done one, and if so how hard is it, what do i need to do it, and can it be done in my sentra. now i've got a 98 with the GA motor in it. if you could give me some help that would be awesome, thanks. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lets lay some groundwork first. First, the SR16VE is basically the same as a SR20VE as far as a swap is concerned, second you are going to need to do all of the same things that you normally do to swap in a sr20 into a ga16 car. Other then that the swap is pretty easy. I have a complete writeup on it in the VE section of sr20deforum.com. Look for the Sticky. I swaped a sr20ve into my 98 SE.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice, how's it runnin now? have you ran it at the track yet? if i do this swap will i still have daliy driver realiablity? thanks for your help bro.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you want a 1/4 mile car AND a daily driver I would say go turbo. Weight is the problem with the B14's and chasing a 2100lbs civic with a better engine but 400 lbs more weight is tough. I have run a [email protected] with street tires and weighing 2485 (no driver). Even with street tires a 14.2-.4 is achievable with my car. I just not interested too much in the 1/4 mile world. This thing is great for the autocross. Lots of low end torque and plenty of high end power. I have H/I/E on it now and put down 180whp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aight, that sounds good, i was wondering how the sr20ve takes to turboing, is it better, wrose or about even with the de? i love the VVL in my GA so i figure that the ve is prob about 10 times better, i was wondering what you redline was, the compression ratio and more specific details like so, on your engine. i think that i'm just gunna go with the larger displacement sr20ve, because i've been reading the prices and there about the same price so y not go bigger! anyways holla back.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The GA does not have VVL in same same manner as a VE. It varies the timing of the cams as the rpm changes. The VE actually has 2 cam profiles. To compare a GA to a VE is like compareing the 4 cylinder mustang to the V8 stang. It a different world (and I have owned 2 GA16 cars). My redline is 7700rpm and I currently get max power at 7200rpm. It holds pretty strong to 7700rpm.

Ignore the dip in power at 5000rpm. I have tuned that out now. A VE is not the ideal choice for a turbo because it has 11:1 compression and a ton of overlap in the cam profile. It would take more work to properly turbo a ve then to start with a DE. After a point in a FWD car you reach a point of saturation for the front tires. This is very easy to do with a mild DET in our cars. In other words just go DET if you are going turbo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohh, i wasnt aware that they changed the cam lobe profile, thats awesome, so its like a honda vtec then, well it works the same way. thanks for the help, i have to think about what i want to do, i'm tryin' deside NA or turboed, its a hard decsion to make, you make more power with a turbo, BUT theres turbo lag and the motor's life is not as long, so its still a toss up between the 2. thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh i thought of another question, are the head bolts the same on a VE as they are on the DE, if so can i just change out the head and get a new ecu that will be able to control the variable valve timing? because if i can then i'll get the det motor change the head so that i can have the VVT and not blow the motor to pieces because of the compression. that would be a freakin sweet ass car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts