Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this might be a standard b14 question but we'll see. I've noticed that at higher speeds 60 plus I'd say I hear a very high pitch squel, it's not the brakes, it happens when I'm not touching them, it's not AC related I don't usually use it, it's not engine related I don't think simply because I can coast in neut. and still hear it, and I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like it happens just when the wheels are turned every so slightly to all the way but it could happen going straight to, i know my tensioner was loose for a while so i tightened it and that took one squel away but I'm not sure what this one is. anybody have an idea and what it'd cost to fix, thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it's not really low pitched, nor is it coming from the rear of the car it's definately up front, I suppose I should have mentioned that earlier :)

·
Banned
809 Posts
check yoru balancing of the tires, hell, when i drive, sometimes certain type of gravel/cement makes a high pitched humm when i go fast, but thats pretty rare only on west airport rd.. lol.. umm your tires may be low, that does it.. check it out..

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and i get a horrible squel from the engine that's been there since i got the car, just when i turn it on, it's in and out sortof thing and speeds up when you hit the gas in neutreul, i checked the belt tensioner, it doesn't seem to be that, the belt itself is fine, i put belt dressing on, that doesn't work, what is it anybody?

·
Registered
139 Posts
u said it happens when going above 60 but then u said only when u turn sharp???? I dont know about u but i have never turned sharp while going over 60!!!!:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you get turn sharp out of "wheels turn every so slightly"?
Theres two squels and I can't decide if they are one, the one is the above 60, the other is the pulsating squel that's there all the time everytime I start the car, and in regards to the second one, I checked the belts agian, I checked the tensioner, I put more belt dressing on and I looked down at some of the puleys and it looks like one might move slightly in and out, I'm not sure, it's the one down toward the bottom a bigger one, anybody know what this is? or what I can do, I'm gonna try to take part of the splash guard off tommorow and see if I can't get a better idea of what's up, but in the meantime, any suggestions? I hate this squel and on Fridays I drive a good 150 mile round trip to a couple of towns east of here so I want to get this taken care of even though it's been there for months and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. help!!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
how long has t been sence u changed ur brakes???? cuss ur brakes have a warning device where when ur breaks whair down a lil mettle pease tuches ur rotor and squels!!!! could that be it????

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the fronts were changed couple months back along with the two front tires and the alignment done, the rears well i don't remember but i got it from the dealer last December so hopefully that was looked at but prob. not, maybe I'll change those out sometime soon. You wouldn't think though that they would kick in randomly at 60 70 mph

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
some things that shouldn't be overlooked:
power steering system condition, fluids and all.
were the brakes' hardware properly lubed, if not, it could be sticking, and binding.
also don't use belt dressing, it just makes something for dirt to hold on to, and cause noise.
and see if it's a squealing or a grinding-like, could be bad bearings, when slightly turning, shifting load side to side, also see what side is loaded when noise occurs.........
other than that, it's kinda difficult to diagnose without experiencing it.......hope this helps out a bit.........

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your tensioner was loose for a while, this could impact the water pump bearings. I had the same problem. I changed the water pump and both belts and the noises went away.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The squealing you hear, does it sound like a cricket chirping sort of? There's been a thread from a very long time ago that was talking about this and most people had been able to track this down to the header...apparently around 3-4k is the resonance frequency in the manifold and it rattles the joint or something along those lines and is really obvious on light throttling (to maintain speed, not slow down/speed up) in that rpm range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts