Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Sentra stock car.I was thinking about to put something in my car to gain some performance to deal with climbing hills and speeding up(but I am not looking for a higher top speed)I have a real tight budget.I asked some of my friends they said putting an cold air intake would be a good choice,but at the same time I need to change the muffler because more air will go into the engine and needs a bigger muffler.So I did some reseaches on sentra.net and here.I understand I could get a muffler that is no bigger than 2" and many people say Magnaflow is a good one.In Sentra.net it says it requires a pre-silencer.Now I am not sure.Does a stock B13 have a pre-sliencer already or does the pre-silencer come with the Magnaflow muffler?Where can I can it except going online?
I don't have any idea about the better brands that I could choose for air intake.Where can I get it?
Is there anything I can do to gain power but it's not too expensive?

·
Work With What You Got
845 Posts
joeli16 said:
Is there anything I can do to gain power but it's not too expensive?
those 2 conditions do not go together :)

here for example is the prices of some parts in my sig

Hotshot CAI - $222
Stromung 2in Cat-back exhaust - $560

the rest of the info you are lookin for could be found though an easy search of this forum

:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, here's just what I've learned regarding the exhaust on the Sentra. Yes, 2" diameter pipe is the largest you should use for a normally aspirated GA16DE - and you should make sure to get mandrel-bent pipe, since crush bends introduce much more turbulence. As for the "pre-silencer" you speak of, this is really a personal opinion sort of thing.

A free-flowing muffler, such as the Magnaflow, does not use much sound-deadening material (one reason why it achieves such high flow rates) and as such, makes your exhaust very loud. Most drivers get tired of the extremely loud exhaust note (not to mention laws regarding the loudness), and one option is to use a free-flowing glasspack positioned just behind the catalytic converter as a "silencer". It won't contribute too much flow restriction, and the added muffling makes your exhaust much more tolerable. You will need to be careful to find a glasspack that has a perforated core (many holes on the inner tube) instead of the louvered core designs. The louvered core glasspacks create turbulent flow, and some can produce more back-pressure than stock mufflers. Expect under 10 hp gain from even the highest quality cat-back exhaust configurations.

Many online vendors carry a larger selection of mufflers and exhaust equipment than the auto-parts stores, and that's why they're usually preferred. I simply purchased my muffler and glasspack from www.summitracing.com and had my mechanic install the 2" mandrel bent pipe and perform the welds. Summit is just one example of a trusted online vendor.

I would definitely improve the exhaust before changing the intake, it just seems more logical that way. As for your intake options, CAI seems to be the best overall horsepower increase - but it does come at a cost. Kojima's Garage has tested the CAI to provide around a 3-5 hp gain.

Other than that, most other significant performance modifications require a significant investment. Luckily, the GA16DE responds fairly well to the above mods, making them a great place to start (and possibly finish!).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking about to install a 2" Round shape Magnaflow muffler instead of the stock muffler.Is that ok to just install the muffler on the stock pipe?
Do any of you have any suggestion about the pre-sliencer?In Magnaflow website it says the muffler itself already have a resonator to reduce sound.
Do I need to care about how long and how big the core of the muffler would be?Which one is better,stainless steel or aluminized?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts