Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite, i had my brake pads replaced 2 month ago and everytime i brake, theres this high pitched squeeking sound. i brought my sentra to get checked up again and they cleaned them, and they still squeek. anyone have a solution to this problem???

i also have the same problem with my altima, too.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
are you using metal pads? i hear they can be noisy.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Do you know if they turned your rotors, when they replaced the pads? If they didnt, you might want to do that. It sometimes helps. Two glassy surfaces dont mix, makes a horrible sound.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I brought mine in to the nissan dealership to get them checked cuz mine were squeeking bad too.

The last time they were squeeking (like a year and half ago) it turned to grinding and I had to replace rotors, pads, and other brake stuff because it tore my brakes up.

This time though the dealership said that many aftermarket brake pads nowadays have a material in them that causes squeeking, even on some expensive made cars. He said my brakes looked fine. So i take my squeeking in stride, when I have my radio on I dont hear it much.

·
0 Posts
fondoo said:
alrite, i had my brake pads replaced 2 month ago and everytime i brake, theres this high pitched squeeking sound. i brought my sentra to get checked up again and they cleaned them, and they still squeek. anyone have a solution to this problem???

i also have the same problem with my altima, too.
Yeah, stop using your brakes so much! :p

Anyway, some cars, the brakes will squeal. Some will squeal for no reason... as long as you or the dealer checked it out and it seems to be fine, you should be ok. It is annoying at times but, if people ask, tell them that on high-performance cars, the brakes will squeal. That'll shut em up.

Mine squealed for a while when it turned out the wheel was on too tight. The lugs were torqued probably to 100 ft-lbs. After doing an event at the track, I retorqued them to 80-85 and the brakes only squeal occasionally. You should try some carbotech panthers... uh, they'lll squeal a BIT ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did they use anti squeal?.It does help.I cheaped out once and didn't use it and they drove me nuts until I couldn't take it and redid it right.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
reasons brakes squeal when applied:
1. rotor lip, if present, touches up against the outtermost edges of the pads.
2. glazing, as mentioned, shiny surface to shiny surface.
3.full of dirt, most common for the rear drums, and also don't apply stop squeal on the rear shoes, it will not dissipate fast enough and will make a mess and loss of rear braking.
4. uneven surfaces, not a true "flat" surface, for both pads and rotors.
5. heat spots, when braking too hard, will discolor rotors and cause a weak spot, or area, with wrong interaction with pads.
if i miss any, please add...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts