Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1997 Sentra is making a squeeking noise. The guys at the Jiffy Lube said that it was the main bearings. A friend in Washington state who knows more about cars than I do says it might be the serpentine belt or the timing belt.

I called Pep Boys and they said that the labor alone for the timing belt would be $1000. My friend in Washington says they are pulling me leg. (I did not ask about the bearings.)

So: Could it be the timing belt? Would it be $1000 for the timing belt? They said the whole bill for the serpentine belt would be less than $100.

Here is a photo on Flickr of me pointing to where the noise is coming from.

pointingToEngine on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
Ok a few things.
1) we don't have a timing belt. We have timing chains, they don't squeak they rattle, and usually ok till 150 to 200 K miles.
2) yes this could be the "fan" or drive belts, we have two, not one serpentine belt
3) download a free Factory Service Manual (FSM) at phatg20.net
in there you will find all the information you need like diagram below
Added: This could be a belt, or an idler pulley or any of the components shown.

· Registered
334 Posts
Usually when you have a squeaky belt,there is either an oil leak from the main seal.Or the water pump leaks.The belt itself or the idler pulley is going bad.Check if your belts are in ok condition (not soaked or cracked).Otherwise I would think that's the idler pulley.

Changing the timing chain in GA16DE is a big job,$1000 sounds high but you should expect to pay an arm and a leg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.