Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GXE. I am getting a squealing noise from the area of the alternator or idler pulley. I know it is not a slipping belt. How do I isolate the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does go away temporarily when you rev up?

If it does I have the same problem. I even tried putting on some WD-40 like a friend suggested (on the belts).

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
ASsman said:
Does go away temporarily when you rev up?

If it does I have the same problem. I even tried putting on some WD-40 like a friend suggested (on the belts).
Please don't use wd40 on the belts. In fact, any kind of belt dressing really doesn't do anything.

Alkon: How do you know it's not the belts? If they look in good condition, they may need to be tightened. Don't let any mechanic tell you they are self-adjusting. They just don't know where the tensioners are...

You should be able to isolate the sound to a particular area, ie: alternator, power steering pump, ect... Once you figure that out, write back and we may be able to help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmmm, it only seems to do it on cold nights too. I'll try and figure out which belt it is, might just get a new one.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If it only does it on cold nights it is probably a loose belt. Loose belts like to squeal in humid conditions, mine likes to after it has rained. On a cold night you hit the dew point quicker and it condensated on the pulleys causing the squeal. Try tightening or they could need replaced. Just my two cents.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
When was the last time the belts were changed? If you dont know, you might as well go ahead while you are down there to change them bolth.
But before changing them, try tightening the tensioners on bolth belts. IF that doesnt work then remove and replace them.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Same here, my belts are really squeaky when it's been raining/when I start up on cold mornings/at night..

They just need replacing, I would bet.. I don't think they have been replaced yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ASsman said:
Probably since they put them on the first time. 132,000 miles ago.
i have the same problem with mine, but it sounds fine until im driving down the road and i press on the gas. then when i stop i can hear it

·
Registered
18 Posts
alkon said:
I have a 96 GXE. I am getting a squealing noise from the area of the alternator or idler pulley. I know it is not a slipping belt. How do I isolate the problem? Thanks.
It is your alternator. mine has done the same thing and i have got my car diagnosed by 10 different shops and they all told me the same thing....what you need to do is bypass your alternator. take the belt off of it and then crank it up. the squealing should go away. the noise on mine is due to a bearing gone out. try that out and see what it does for you dont spend 30$ hear and 60$ hear asking dumb mechanics. one shop told me it was my timing chain and they wrote me a bill showing me the cost of the labor and parts and it was 800+ dollars. they said it would be like 18 hours of labor. see if this helps a bit.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
alkon said:
Sounds like the bearing on the water pump... keep an eye on it.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
IES200SXSE said:
It is your alternator. mine has done the same thing and i have got my car diagnosed by 10 different shops and they all told me the same thing....what you need to do is bypass your alternator. take the belt off of it and then crank it up. the squealing should go away. the noise on mine is due to a bearing gone out. try that out and see what it does for you dont spend 30$ hear and 60$ hear asking dumb mechanics. one shop told me it was my timing chain and they wrote me a bill showing me the cost of the labor and parts and it was 800+ dollars. they said it would be like 18 hours of labor. see if this helps a bit.
How exactly do you bypass your alternator ? Don't you need it ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think he means try to run the belt so the alternator is not being turned just long enough to start the car and verify if that was it or not. For all the longer your going to have it running you could probably do one belt at a time. Then you'll know which component set it is. Then maybe one of those mechanics stethescopes would let you pinpoint the pulley that's doing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More on 96 Sentra engine squealing

I think the problem is either the alternator bearing or the idler pulley bearing. The squeaky sound cannot be coming from the water pump pulley as I changed it within the past 4 months. I am very familiar with belt squeals... and, this is not coming from the belt. I have tried using the mechanic's stethescope and I still have not isolated it to either the alternator or idler pulley. Any thoughts??

Al Kondo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts