Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of recently (only 20K miles) when I reverse in the morning my brakes squeak loudly for the first few braking. I need to hit the brakes a few times as I inch out of my parking spot in my neighborhood. I leave very early so I’m hoping I don’t cause any noise for neighbors (close townhouses).

I got my brakes checked today and they said everything is fine. Pads etc are fine and nothing can be done other than taking them apart and resurfacing or cleaning the dust but could happen again soon? so not worth it?

It typically is the loudest in the morning but I also hear it when leaving work many hours later.

Anything I can do to stop the noise or limit it? I had thought it was due to sprinkler in the AM but parked in a guest spot and similar squeak amount.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,510 Posts
Generally the squeaking sound that occurs when moving in reverse is caused by the brake pad wear indicator scratching the rotor when the pads have worn to a certain point. If that's the cause, the fix is new pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They mentioned the pads are still good 7-8/32 for life at 20k. Also mentioned there’s a bulletin for squeaking brakes and nothing can really be done. It seems to have just started to happen a month or two again and seems to get louder in the morning. Happens anytime the car is sitting for at least a hour or more etc. loudest when I leave in the morning and also noticeable when leaving work 8 hours later. Anything I can spray? buy or do easily? I don’t want to wake up neighbors.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,510 Posts
Make sure the back side of the pads have shims. Some pad assemblies, according to the vehicle model, have two shims on the outer pad; the second one is called a shim cover.

Are the brake pads still original or have they been replaced? If they've been replaced, did you use high quality pads or some cheap aftermarket type. Many cheap pads use inferior pad material which is susceptible to squeal. If you choose to replace the brake pads, choose high-end ceramic-based pads like AKEBONO, BREMBO, RAYBESTOS, and WAGNER brands. My favorite is AKEBONO which also is an OEM supplier for Nissan.

Here are some things you can try:
You may be able to decouple the piston acoustically from the pad by purchasing shims made of Teflon, which are intended to go between the pad and the caliper's hydraulic piston. I've tried those shims with partial success; sometimes they work and sometimes they don't; just be aware that some calipers will not have enough extra travel in the piston bore to allow any shimming without making the brakes drag.

You can achieve a similar decoupling without Teflon shims by simply coating the back face of the pad's backing plates with high-temp brake grease or even antiseize compound. Unlike shims, this tweak won't last forever, as water and road dirt will wash it away eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts