Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so everytime it rains or my car gets wet, my belt squeaks, but only when running at idle speed. Any time it goes above about 2000 RPMS, the squeaking stops. Anybody know why it does this or how I can fix it?

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
ktulu221 said:
Ok, so everytime it rains or my car gets wet, my belt squeaks, but only when running at idle speed. Any time it goes above about 2000 RPMS, the squeaking stops. Anybody know why it does this or how I can fix it?
Mine does it too. I just assumed the belts were getting loose over time. Seems to be a common problem, especially at start-up. If its continous, I would check the tension and belt condition. If you have over 60k, you might want to replace the belts anyway.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
I don't have a QG18, but with my 1.6 200sx it does the same thing at the same times you mentioned. I'd say it's definitely time for some replacing soon, I just haven't gotten around to it lol. It sure as hell is annoying, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the belt. Mine does that to EVERY time it rains too. I just topped 30,000 on my 2003 Sentra so I'll probably have the belt replaced when I do a full service on my car around 40,000 - 45,000 (I dont do scheduled maintenance, I do maintenance on my schedule ntm budget).
If you have 40,000 on it replacing the belts will stop the squeakidge.. but dont be surprised if it comes back after only 10,000 or so :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it incredibly hard to swap belts yourself?? I heard it's just a matter of loosening, removing, replacing, and tightening. Anybody know where I can get specific instructions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2001 goes this too, it has 40 k on it but it made nose even at 30k. I was told its just the sounds of the belts when they are wet, since the rubberis wet it just makes noise. And as you drive the heat from the engine dries up the moisture so it stops it. but i think its just from the rain...but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ktulu221 said:
My belts on my 2001 have squealed since about a month after I bought it. I have even had the belts changed and the noise still came back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts