Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my chasis has started to squeak on every bump and even when I corner fast, it squeaks. How do I stop it on my own ? (with a can of wd40? )

btw- 1994 Sentra LE , 4 dr

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
i doubt your chassis is squeaking, i'd bet the ranch it's your ball joints. take of your front wheels and check them. if they go bad, the car squeaks like mad style.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tavel said:
i doubt your chassis is squeaking, i'd bet the ranch it's your ball joints. take of your front wheels and check them. if they go bad, the car squeaks like mad style.
a bit confused..are ball joints same as CV joints? if yes they have been replaced only 2 months ago!

It squeaks even when I am going in a straight line..

driving me nuts...
how to stop it?

Also anyone have any experience with weatherstriping adhesive ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
a_d_y_a said:
a bit confused..are ball joints same as CV joints? if yes they have been replaced only 2 months ago!

It squeaks even when I am going in a straight line..

driving me nuts...
how to stop it?

Also anyone have any experience with weatherstriping adhesive ?
Ball joints are the joints between your front lower control arms and spindles. They are not the same as your CV joints.

Weatherstripping adhesive is pretty straightforward. It's basically like using rubber cement. Just make sure you clean up both sides of the joint well prior to starting.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
ball joints are not cv joints. the ball joint connects the wheel hub to the suspension control arm. chances are you'll be buying a whole new control arm though, $tealerships dont sell just the ball joint.

but like i said, you have to check and see if the boot is torn. if you can't figure out where the ball joint is you need to get a haynes manual, it will save you a lot of trouble.

edit: damnit! you replied while i was typing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx guys i am home now and i can try see it in the haynes ( i have one!)
stupid of me..

your talk of buying stuff has sent shivers down the spine of a poor student
:jawdrop:

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
i got the ball joint from autozone for i think 3.46 and put it on in about 10 minutes.

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
KaRdoN said:
i got the ball joint from autozone for i think 3.46 and put it on in about 10 minutes.
3.46????? WOW!!!!
I paid like 23.99 for mine. Have fun BEATING them out though. Be nice.

·
Locked and Loaded
1,227 Posts
yeah, i got mine next to nothin, they were just full of them, and i guess they were in demand, then not so they had a surplus

·
Registered
155 Posts
KaRdoN said:
yeah, i got mine next to nothin, they were just full of them, and i guess they were in demand, then not so they had a surplus
Check your cv joint first, and maybe save yourself some time in the long run. See if the boots are ripped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GET A BALL JOINT PRESS if you are going to put one in. It will save you lots of head aches. Your local Checker or autozone should have one that you can rent for free or next to nothing.
-Ben

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bet its not your ball joints, i had the same sound and could not get rid of it. I had no clue also to what it could of been. Then i get this idea that it could of been a bushing or something related. so i sprayed some WD40 on some of the bushings and it went away! but seeing that i sprayed several bushings i didnt know exactly which one it was. but the problem was solved! it later came back and just sprayed a few bushings and it was gone again! so i narrowed it down to the place where the Lower control arm bolts up to the chassis. spray some WD40 in that spot. either side from where the sound is coming from or both. I havent had the sound come back since its been like a year or two. hope that solves your problem. if you need more explaining let me know. :hal:

·
Registered
155 Posts
87blumr2 said:
I bet its not your ball joints, i had the same sound and could not get rid of it. I had no clue also to what it could of been. Then i get this idea that it could of been a bushing or something related. so i sprayed some WD40 on some of the bushings and it went away! but seeing that i sprayed several bushings i didnt know exactly which one it was. but the problem was solved! it later came back and just sprayed a few bushings and it was gone again! so i narrowed it down to the place where the Lower control arm bolts up to the chassis. spray some WD40 in that spot. either side from where the sound is coming from or both. I havent had the sound come back since its been like a year or two. hope that solves your problem. if you need more explaining let me know. :hal:

If you checked to make sure your cv boots wern't ripped, and they wern't then it'sa most likely a bushing. I'm not sure if that has a sway bar in the front but if it does there is two bushings for that also. Check to see if there is play in the sway bar. Look for worn control arm bushings... look for cracks rips, or any noticable movement. if you still think that it's your balljoint, which I doubt... jack your car up from the frame, but it up enough so the suspension hangs. Get a large prybar and put it under the tire, push up and down, see if you feel any play. Have a buddy look to see it he can see any play. Thats to check it for axial play. To check the balljoint for radial play grab the tire and 12 and 6 and rock it up and down, again have your buddy look for play in the balljoint. Since the car has macpherson struts if you do not unload the balljoin by jacking the car up from the frame, you will not be able to accuratly check them for play. Do these few easy checks and save yourself a headache and fuckin with a balljoint...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts