Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I started having some problems with my 1989 Sentra yesterday.

Basically what it does is this: Idles rough sometimes, when i start accelerating it starts sputtering and sometimes dies. When it sputters it has no power at all. It seems to be OK at higher RPM's (above 3K), but almost every time i start accelerating from a stop it sputters and wants to die.
If it dies, it takes a good 4-5 seconds of cranking to start again (normally it starts instantly).

Im thinking it has to be an ignition problem. I'll replace the plugs today to see if that helps (havent been replaced in a while). Then im probably going to replace the wires and the dist. cap.

What else can cause similar symptoms?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Spark plug wires.
I have had this happen several times, and it was because of the wires were arcing to the head. For some reason the wire sets for the GA16 do not seem to last for more than a year or two, before they go bad. If you buy a set of lifetime wires (around $40) and keep the receipt in the glove box, it will be worth your while. The only other advice is to check out the AAC, FICD, and Idle Up solenoids. I will have to move the write-up on how to clean them here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts