Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this is a vss problem, but wanted to check just in case it's in the cluster. The car is an auto, and while the car is running like crap, the transmission does appear to work correctly (Shifting at the right spots). The cruise, odometer, and speedometer don't work. Sometimes while driving the speedo will briefly blip to 20mph or so, but almost immediately falls back to zero.

Thinking it was the VSS, I pulled mine out, it looked ok, it tested to 267ohms and the spec is 250, so I do not want to call that bad. It generates AC voltage when you spin it, so that's also working. Question though: The gear on the end. Should the gear teeth be concave? If I place the sensor flat against a surface (As is I was going to 'roll' the gear), the middle section of the teeth is curved inwards (Think of the wear pattern of a underinflated tire)

My question is this, I scanned the computer and didn't come up with any VSS codes. Is the ECM the definitive answer if it is bad? Would the tranny shift correctly if it was not receiving a proper VSS signal? I am thinking either the cluster is bad, or the teeth are so worn in the middle that it is not contacting the drive gear in the tranny.

·
cheese
618 Posts
take it out and clean it with a can of air, there might be dust in there. i had somthing like that happen

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
The sensor im my cars (manual)is not supposed to be concaved. It is a flat cylinder. So it seems to me that its been chewed up. Does it look like it has been eaten up?
Im not sure if the ecu gets any data from the sensor, per shift points. I would think that a haynes or fsm should be able to let you know if it does.
Have you downloaded the factory service manual yet? If you havent search for it, its here somewhere.
The ecu should trip an error code if its bad, but sometimes, its been cleared or hasnt reached the proper trip number to set off the code again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
my cluster has the same problem in my 5 speed sentra.. likes to stay at 0mph and no odometer.. all i gotta do is hit the dash just right and it'll work.. lol. That's why I bought a new cluster.. well.. that and i wanted a tach. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naah, it's actually pretty smooth, which is kinda wierd. Hmmmm. Maybe I will try to stop by the dealer this weekend and see if they have one in stock for me to compare it to. The cruise dosn't work, so I am thinking that the vss may be bad. I just took the cluster apart, and didn't see anything that looked bad. I reassembled it, cleaning connectors, and took it for a drive, but it still isn't working.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ripped the dash apart last night to investigate further. My speedo itself is a "60mph=1024rpm" unit. I didn't see any electrical faults on the circuit board, however I didn't want to screw with the motor not knowing what voltage it is sent, so I put it all backtogether, cleaning the contacts, etc. It still does not work though. I thought of something I might try tonight though. If my VSS is good, but the gear is wore to the point where it doesn't make contact with the other tranny gears, I can check it by having my fiancee sit in the car with it turned on while I spin the vss by hand (While it's hooked up, of course). I guess if the speedo increases, then I know that the gear itself is bad and I can order that part straight from the dealer. I don't expect to be able to spin the vss too fast, but as long as it is a steady hold on the speedo I know its working.

Heh, having insomnia helps sometimes! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
im having the same problem with mine (89 Maxima), it sits at like 130 but im sure it just fell there after it stopped working...every once in a while it will spin back to 60 and then drop to 130 again, not all that good with cars but i needed to fix it, anyone know how much the damage (to my wallet that is) could be? lol

my apologies for putting this in the wrong thread, a friend sent me the link on a topic about it and i didnt pay attention

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I understand (Atleast for b14's) is that there is either a vss that goes bad, or the cluster itself. If it's the speedo in the cluster, figure $200 (Or cheaper if you can find one in a junk yard or ebay). If it's the vss, new they are around $150 I think.

No offense, but 89 is older than 95, so it may use a speedometer cable instead of an actual VSS sensor. I am not sure when they made the switch. If that's the case, you probably just broke the cable and I imagine that the cable is much cheaper than the VSS stuff I gotta deal with.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
You are right the 89 Max has the cable. Open your trunk, look at the tranny. Search for a cable coming up from the tranny going to the drivers side firewall.
There should be a screw cap holding the cable into the tranny, im not to sure how it is held into the cluster. Im assuming that it has the same or similar connection into the cluster.
Spin one side of the cable. If the other end of the cable isnt spinning, your cable is probably broke....lol Easy fix, not a lot of money, and you can install it.
Now if that isnt the problem, then it might be the actual gauge, and its enternals.

SoCal, that would have been the way I would have suggested testing the speed sensor. Try to run it down your pants leg, will be better than just using your hand....lol
Oh and your cruise control, have you checked the vacuum line that leads into the CC valve thingy...lol The ball looking piece of plastic on your firewall.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nostrodomas said:
SoCal, that would have been the way I would have suggested testing the speed sensor. Try to run it down your pants leg, will be better than just using your hand....lol
Oh and your cruise control, have you checked the vacuum line that leads into the CC valve thingy...lol The ball looking piece of plastic on your firewall.
Heh I, uhhh, spun it to 45mph. Guess I uh, have fast hands
:cool: Actually I ended up hooking it up to a drill because my fiancee could see it blip as I turned it, but not a constant speed like I wanted. In any case, a variable speed black & decker can accelerate your speedo from 0 - 45 in about 0.1 seconds :jawdrop:

The good news is that I put 0.2 miles on the tripometer and the gauge stayed steady at about 45 with the drill, so I guess my "concave" gear is the culprit.

I'm going to call nissan tomorrow. The dealer wouldn't give me a part nmber today without the vin :loser: (I was at work away from my car) When I get the part number I'll post it here for others, because no sense in replacing the entire VSS if just the nylon gear is bad....

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Junk yard!!!!!! Try that 1st. No need to walk into the dealership backwards, with your pants down, unless you have to.
P.S. I bet my dewalt would hit 100........lol
Just glad to see that you spotted the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
SoCalB14 said:
No offense, but 89 is older than 95...
lol why would i take a offense to that :)

Nostrodomas - Thanks bud ill check that out tomorrow...so all i need to do is find the end of the cable and spin it by hand and if it doesnt work than the cables effed up?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Naah, I didn't find out. I have a feeling that it is the VSS, but I am thinking that the tranny has some sort of a fallback mode. I know that Pre 93 GM 4L60 transmissions don;t use a speed sensor at all -- it is entirely controlled by throttle cables and fluid pressures. I got a few spare hours this morning though -- I'll check over the FSM and see if I can look it up for the heck of it.

Yeah I thought about the junkyard. I may give one a call today. I'll get the nissan pn and price though just in case it's cheaper than me buying a entire sensor from the junkyard.

I thought about my 30,000RPM Dremel :) I bet I could log a few thousand miles per hour with that! Heck, the sensor might put out 110V AC :) The biggest problem for me was that the sensor pigtail was not very long, so fitting my drill way down in the engine compartment was kinda tough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nissan P/N: 327020M116
Cost: $42.00

That's for the whole sensor. The guy at the parts counter told me that the gear is not replaceable (??) but I can live with $42 every 250k miles I guess :)

I'm picking it up at lunch and will install tonight.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nostrodomas said:
Well I bet you could have got one at the junk yard for $10....lol
Oh well, did you get it fixed yet?
Yeah, probably, I agree, but I am getting so frustrated with the car that I want to use known good parts. Heh, atleast this one should be good for another 240k miles :)

I haven't put it in yet, but I will later tonight. The gear is straight like you said though, so it's definitely the problem. Just for fun I might hook my dremel up to the old sensor and hook the terminals up to my voltometer. I wonder how many volts I can generate with 30,000 RPM :cool:

Still, $42 ain't bad to have cruise, a working odo & speedo, and who knows, maybe a better shifting tranny.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
To me, the dremel idea is a bad one....lol You dont need any thing eles frying.
You are right $42 isnt to bad. Unlike the drivers side master window switch @ $98.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It fixed it. :)

No time to play tonight, I'm starting to tear down the engine to get @ that darn timing chain!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts