Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i recently replaced my clutch in my car... once i got everything put back together i took it for a drive and the guage wasnt working. so i checked the cable spun it fast and it was bouncing so its not the cable, i lined it back up and tried again and still it wasnt working. well about 40 miles later when i was driving it came back on, then about a thousand miles later it just completely went to zero when i was hittin 75 on the highway and it hasn't worked since. any one have any suggestions for me?

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
There is a plastic tip that interfaces with the back of the dash. It probably came loose. There is a spring loaded square drive that turns the speedometer and the outer plastic part that holds it in place probably came loose from the cable. You will have to pull the dash out and see if you can pop it back on. I think I used super glue to hold it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i took the cable off where it goes into the transmission and i spun it pretty quick and the needle was bouncing so the cable is hooked up right, its got to be somethin in the transmission when i did the clutch...

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
well i took the cable off where it goes into the transmission and i spun it pretty quick and the needle was bouncing so the cable is hooked up right, its got to be somethin in the transmission when i did the clutch...
Hmm, I cannot think of anything that you would have miss alligned when doing the clutch. Have you pulled the plastic gear out to see if the teeth are still good? Is the end of the cable where it goes into the transmission still have the "flag" sticking out the side like an old fashoned key?
You say the speedo does not work now, but if you turn the lower end of the cable by hand that the needle jumps up?
It is just that I had the same thing happen to me and it was the end of the cable behind the dash. The speedo would randomly just stop working for days or weeks then just start working again.
Other than that I would have no idea why it would do what you describe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that teeth at the end of the cable is still good. and yeah sometimes t will just turn on but it hasn't for awhile. it has to be something in the tranny but it just dont make that much sense to me, idk it just sucks though cause it wont even count miles or anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts