Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shift_THIS and ZOOM ZOOM
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now i am really pissed i just changed my voltage regulator and the gas and temp gauge work great i was just cruising through town and i came up to a red light and stoped and the damn speedo stoped working. but now i have a problem with my speedo not working although it will keep the value of my car up knowing how fast i am going and getting speeding tickets, not knowing when to change my oil is another downer.

if you guys could suggest something that woulf be great

·
Registered
292 Posts
well its a mechanical speedo so its not electrical. hmmm check the speedo cable it might be broken they are cheep to replace you can buy a cable from nissan i can take a pic and tell you how to replace it. it took me like five mins to replace. either do that or get a new gauge cluster

·
Shift_THIS and ZOOM ZOOM
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a plastic pin in the back that goes into the speedo a little square piece and a round sleeve that it goes in right. should that be one piece orslide back in forth?

J

·
0 Posts
I've been meaning to reply to all these posts about swapping the instrument cluster and/or changing the voltage regulator, but I've either been too busy or just plain forgot.

The same thing happened to me...changed the voltage regulator and !CLICK! the speedo stops working. There is a small, black spring behind the square piece you mentioned. It's supposed to rest behind the squre piece inside the round sleeve. It pushes the square piece into the back of the speedo and keeps it there. When you put your guage cluster back in, the square piece probably didn't make it completely into the the back of your speedo and later popped out.

If you're not carefull when messing with the speedo cable (square thing/round sleeve) the spring can drop into the steering wheel shaft compartment. That's what mine did and it took me a good 1/2 hour to find it. Very annoying. It didn't help that I have a black interior either! :mad:

If you did loose your spring, I'm sure any spring with the same length and diameter should work. Maybe check with Springs-R-Us? Sorry :D

Good luck.

·
Shift_THIS and ZOOM ZOOM
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it looks like i will have to replace it i have everthing disconected but how do i get it through the firewall???? and what way do i pull?

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
snugh?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
pull it from the driver seat it goes better this way... and put it back this way too so can pull the rubber boot corectly from the engine compartment,(place it in the groove)... ps its really hard to place it back if you dont remove the carbon canister....

·
Registered
292 Posts
there should be like a rubber gramit and plate holding it in i will try to take pics of what im tlaking about for you. ... you are replacing the whole speedo cable?

i dunno if you are but it took me five mins to do

·
Shift_THIS and ZOOM ZOOM
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i'm just going to replace the whole fucking thing i'm so pissed

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
good luck , dog. never tackled anything like that before..... the alternator was quite FUN , though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts