Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrite....today...i wuz drivin along.....i got a 89 sentra a/t.......nd well....after a while....i noticed that my speedo wasn't workin.....neither was my mileage goin up.......i wuz like "wtf?".....so after i got to my destination....i popped the hoood....nd looked at where the speedo cable attaches to the tranny....nd it wuz fine....so...i dunno if it's in the gauge cluster.....because....it was workin perfectly before hand..........all my other gauges work....except for the speedo nd mileage meter.....even the trip meter wont work...but i think that that's attached to the mileae meter...anyways.......any suggestions fellow nissannaners?...lol....anythin would help :cheers:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
change the cable... its broken. (you got to take the dash out... just dont pull on it from the back)... while its seams ok... its snapped inside.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crazy-Mart said:
change the cable... its broken. (you got to take the dash out... just dont pull on it from the back)... while its seams ok... its snapped inside.
uhh....how sure are u of that.......well...i'ma do it anyways....check the cable that is....

·
Registered
751 Posts
erixpulsar said:
uhh....how sure are u of that.......well...i'ma do it anyways....check the cable that is....
It's broke, very broken. Get a new one b4 you pull the cluster. We R that sure.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
To have owned 2 of these , made 2 engine swap, and changed 3 tranny in it in more than 5 year, im pretty sure wath im talking about :) ive also took the first one i had to complete pcs for the second one manual tranny swap(not to mention an Se pulsar last fall for a futur Ca18det swap)...

unless the engine mount on the back of the engine is going (wich you had more problem than only the speedo like getting it into 2,4 and reverse) it will be only the cable... only time i had that problem is when my mount broke the tranny... cable was streched and wasnt getting into the pinion in the tranny....

if you want to make sure its broken, just unscrew it from the transmission and pull on the inside cable, if it comes to you or is jammed than it is broken... rarely the speedo will jam, and ive never seen a speedo gear broken yet(even know theyre made of plastic)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am on my third cable - but up here in the frozen north (-25 today) I think that on mine the extreme cold hinders the movement of the dial and then it rounds out the square end that goes into the cluster. Right now I am going to wait for it to warm up a bit before rep[lacing it though.

·
off topic VIP
388 Posts
ya i wanted to add something...

i was calibrating my speedo( it was 10mph off) and i broke the speedo cable end.
when i was pushing the instrument cluster into its place, it wasnt totally straight in, and jarred loose the spring behind the plastic end of the speedo cable. no i wasnt forcing anything, it just wasnt in straight.

when u put the cluster back in, take extra care w/the wiring and the connectors for the cluster surround. if the cluster hangs up on em itll not sit straight in its place, then snap!!
$50 later for new speedo cable, lesson learned.
i hope this post saves some grief.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was gonna past somm to the same effect. When I did the tach swap, somewhere in the in/out proccess I busted the plastic end of the cable. So, yea, make sure that puppy is lined up when you put it in and if you're pulling the cluster out for other than speedo probs, make sure you pull it out straight. Don't yank it from side to side til it breaks loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts