Nissan Forum banner

Speedo help :(

968 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  IanH 
#1 ·
Cheers I need some help here, last week my speedometer (99´GA16DE) become sluggish, I did some search in the forum but without sucess.

The speedo works great but when stop the car for 5 minutes, 50% of the times I need to run above 20 miles in order to have speedo, odometer etc again, when the needle came back to life, it works well reading for zero miles to top speed...

I don't know were to start... vehicle speed sensor... cluster... wiring... the needle.. some ideas wold be great, sorry for the English

#2 ·
are you sure the odo isnt working? Check the trip tenths to see if it is.
My needle sticks sometimes, a tap gets it going !!
if the odo isn't working others have reported the sensor on the transmission had bad connections or broken. If its this you should get a code.
Have the codes pulled or see sticky and do it yourself.
The Light doesn't always come on.
Good Luck

#3 ·
I found something... I disconnected the wires behind the dashboard and realize that it must be some bad connection because after some WD40 and plug/unplug the wires the speedo came to life... for 2 our 3 hours :( now its tha same... it works good all the times if I didn´t kill the engine for > 5 minutes than the speedo became frozen until I reach +- 20 miles on the restart but after that run ok at all speeds until next restart... it´s annoying

#4 ·
there is some high tech contact cleaner available at electronics store that may fix this.
be careful with the metal on the cluster, its thin copper flex circuit that makes contact to the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.