Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the forums and new to nissans as well. I recently bought a 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE and a couple days after I bought it i noticed the Speedometer was acting up. It would randomly drop to zero and then stay there or it would go back to to the speed. So a couple days after my check engine light came on so i went and had the code pulled and sure enough the code was a speed sensor malfunction. But since Im new too Nissans I was wondering if someone could guide me on how to replace the speed sensor?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't be too quick to replace the VSS. I have had the same problem with my speedometer for years. Try this: driving at 40mph or greater bang on the dash above the speedo with your fist (or something heavier like a ratchet which I've resorted too), if this fixes the speedo, there's some type of loose connection in the speedo or instrument cluster. Evidently the speedo is in between the VSS and the ECU so if the signal doesn't make it to the ECU you get the VSS code. You can also do a resistance check on the VSS to confirm it is operating correctly. Do a search on VSS and you'll find the resistance numbers. You'll also find the replacement directions if you need them too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I am beginning to think its not the speed sensor because like you said, If I hit the dash it begins working again. So has maybe the plug worked its way loose? or will I have to invest In a new speedometer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I doubt its a loose plug. Most likely bad wire or solder connection somewhere. I've debated getting a replacement speedo, you can buy used ones out there, but never decided. I guess the right thing to do would be to open up the dash (instrument cluster) and start testing things with an ohm meter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts