Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK So I thought that there was only the issue of auto vs. manual or electric speed sensor vs. manual speedo pinion...

...I disassemble an NX1600 tranny I am building to replace the Sentra one in my car and I find this:

Basically the electric one I have is about an inch shorter and the gear is a different color. They have the same number of teeth, but WHY are they different? I though for some reason that all the sensors/pinions were interchangeable with these 91-94 B13 GA16DE manual gearboxes...I guess I'm wrong?!

Hmm Perhaps I'll have to try the cable again lol otherwise, anyone know which car I could get an electric speed sensor that will fit in this gearbox?

Puzzled again. Maybe I'll just abandon the idea of ever having a working speedometer in this car again lol

D:confused:

·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump! cmon nobody ever noticed this before?!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Haha I have the exact same problem.I thought I made a mistake in wiring.Change the wire but I still got no reading at all.It looks to me as if the electronic speed sensor is not engaged to the gear at all.I think I just have to go back to the speed cable or I have to get a NX1600 tranny!Really disappointing.

·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
9 Posts
sickness!!

you got any pics you can show us?

·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will soon. DHL had it at my door today but nobody was home. I should get it tomorrow and try and set it up quick.

Speeding tickets suck, at least the one I got this year the cop didn't harass me for my mods or loud exhaust...around here they are cracking down bad on tuners. Any non-stock exhaust=ticket.

I like to know how fast I'm going, is all ;) comes in handy sometimes. And for those times you don;t want to know, just leave the GPS off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I doubt you'll get through an MOT with only a GPS speedo.

Edit: Oh, you're in Canada. They have things like MOT's there, right?

·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha here in Quebec, unless I get sent to inspection I don;t ever need to get my car inspected again unless its off the road for like over a year or two or something.

So yeah, it doesnt pass inspection with no speedo. But its my car so I dont give a damn. And its gonna stay my car until someone who likes it as much as I do buys it, and by then they sure as heck better not be whining about no speedo, or they aren;t getting it.

:)

D

·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple shots of the unit in operation. Comments: would be nice to not have to plug it in to have the HUD working. Its A LOT brighter than it looks in the photos. Very nice, responsive, useful, inexpensive, easy to use. I have no night shots but its even better at night, it dims a bit or brightens depending on ambient lighting. I am going to route the wire inside the dash I think; and/or wire the adapter directly into the power inside the dash...

D

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you remove it ?

How do you actually get the thing out or free ?
Do you have to turn it left or right ?
Or just pull it straight up ?
I see kinda a round thing kinda plastic at base under the metal clip (shaped like squarish C ) and one wire comes out of it.

I don't want to break it or anything else... I already broke off the bolt head to the bolt holding the C chape clamp thing.

Does this gear assembly sit inside the tranny somehow and get lubed/wet
by thetranny fluid while it is in position and turning/spinning ?

I really don't know what doing or understand hwo it works... the pics help.

How big /long is this thing when pulled out ? Looks like it is about 4-5 inches long .

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
147 Posts
how does it chine off of the windshield like that? is it like a tint film that acts like a mirror? im thinking of getting on because i just got a ticket the other day (81 in a 65) and my speedo doesnt work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still problem with VSS speedo - if maybe not the sensor down in the engine/tranny.
Maybe it is some wire or short or dirt up behind speedo cluster guage.

How do you remove or pull off the plastic/glass cover in front of the guages ?

I see two small philips screw up underside the dashpanel right in front of steering wheel.
Will thos two screws help allow clearplastic cover to come off and get some access to the speedo
and wires ?

Is there any pics or steps about doing this - removing or getting in behind the cluster gauge panel ?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts