Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know beans about ECU's, so would is it possible to get rid of the 109 speed limit on my 96 Sentra GXE without buying a new ECU?

I've heard kudos about the JWT ECU. Does anyone have on used (is that a good idea?) or does anyone know where I can get one el cheapo?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my lil sentra

i've gotten my 96 sentra gxe (automatic) to 117 on a highway. So is there really a need for a new ECU? Is there a govenor on the speed? i thought this was covered in other threads

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
gonzoangel,
Your speedo said 117, but trust me you were doing 109
factory speedos are off about 3%.

drpepper911,
I had an idea a while back and I still think it would work, here it is... A lil black box that contains an AC voltage generator. If you set this generator to produce the same AC voltage and frequency as the vehicles VSS(vehicle speed sensor)at say 105mph and wire it into your VSS signal wire to the ECU with a switch. The Idea is to flip the switch at 105mph, then the ECU would be reading the signal from the black box and not the VSS, therfore it would think you are doing a steady 105 while you are really going faster. This may set codes with ABS equipped vehicles(not sure though)... Oh wait a minute HKS makes something very similar(I think) I believe its called a VSD, but I dont know how it works or if it would work on a Sentra.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much are the new ECUs?
i went on the JWT website and I didn't see any prices? I don't plan on trying to speed much over a 100, but should I get this if i want fast pick-up when i'm smoking the silly cars on the road?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a switch for governor. I even still have a speedo when i turn the gov off... The only downfall is it bogs between shifts

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Should I break the bad new to him guys???
gonzoangel,
Its about $600 and a about a $500 core charge.
I'm gonna go lay down now and cry :(
I thought i was done
intake, stromung exhaust, Focuz header, that's all i wanted to do. .. . . .. . :(
stupid computers

·
Registered
672 Posts
last night my 99 automatic sentra hit 150 kmph and it seemed like it wasnt gonna go further thatn that. oh well. tim to visti jim wolf:D

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
rios said:
last night my 99 automatic sentra hit 150 kmph and it seemed like it wasnt gonna go further thatn that. oh well. tim to visti jim wolf:D
kilometers hmmmm jwt doesnt want to work on the 99 gxe they said to many loopoles different styles you would have to send yours in have them work on it but if you have a spare car go for it otherwise good luck finding an ecu to match yours:eek:

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
speed and such

a question then. if you're a 99 sentra owner and purchase the turbo set up from hotshot (complete with JWT ECU), will it work? can you simply replace the ecu like that? i don't know jack about ecu's either.

i hope the answer is good cos i really want that damn turbo.

a few other details. is there a way to get away with having a turbo'd sentra gxe in california?

as for the speedometer being off...i disagree based on personal experience. i got popped by the highway patrol doing 100 mph - exactly what was on my speedo when i saw the lights in my rear view mirror and exactly what i got a ticket for. honestly, i think the officer was surprised to see a little sentra going that fast.

also, i've had my sentra up to 120 mph...just once...at 3 a.m. in the morning making the switch from the 57 to the 60 freeway(and once is enough, thank god). so what is up with the limiter? hey, does anyone know the limiter on hondas? i hear it's higher, which makes it worth while getting a JWT ECU.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
i guess on jwt can answer that one maybe the found way to make them work of the same ecu i dont know lets give them, a call

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am not too sure how these speed limiters work, but i got my 91 sentra xe to 120, then, when i reched 125 (going downhill), my whole engine shut off. good thing it was 4 in the morning and i was alone on the freeway.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
hard_charger, Ive had my sentra up to 120mph too, if you belive the speedo. As for what the cop bagged you at. You said you saw 100 on your speedo when he hit the lights, in some case its possible to have a big difference between the time a cop "paints" you and the time he hits the lights. That could account for some variations. Also I lived with a cop for about 2 years and learned a lil about radar, there are alot of things that can affect radar readings(mostly improper use). There are too many variables to say that your speedo is dead-on if you compare it to a radar reading. Thats why alot of cops give some leway when they are "painting" cars, they know about how the system works. BTW were you running stock wheels and tires???

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
speedo...no, not the bathing suit

here's the thing, though.

i was doing that healthy clip of 100 mph for some time...when i blew by the highway patrol (*smacking my forehead with the palm of my hand*) and got lit up. still, i trust what you're saying, pat. it's just that my car sticks at 100 mph without the overdrive off and that's the situation i was in when i got caught.

as for when i did 120 mph, yeah, i was running stock wheels at the time but with some higher speed rated stock-like tires. just as a disclaimer, i think speeding is stupid and i learned both a valuable and expensive lesson that day i got caught. i know i've got a lead foot and i'm doing my best to keep it under control.

i don't want to give folks like us a bad name. it's a responsibility we all share...

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
hard_charger said:
a question then. if you're a 99 sentra owner and purchase the turbo set up from hotshot (complete with JWT ECU), will it work? can you simply replace the ecu like that? i don't know jack about ecu's either.

Yes JWT can program your 99 ecu... Project 200SX is a '98...

The B15 is a different subject... With the B15 the 32 bit ECU was introduced... Many of the turbo charged B15's have modified B14 JWT ecu's

·
Registered
351 Posts
myoung said:

Yes JWT can program your 99 ecu... Project 200SX is a '98...

The B15 is a different subject... With the B15 the 32 bit ECU was introduced... Many of the turbo charged B15's have modified B14 JWT ecu's

Wait last time I heard 97 and up 1.6 Sentras would have to use 95 or 95 ECUs to send JWT to reprogram. Did they finally crack 97-99 ECUs?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
they are able to make the 95, 96, & 97 modified ECUs. that's where you get a completely new ECU and you send your old one in for the core charge.

For the 98 & 99, they are harder to crack, but I believe that if you send in your ECU, they can work on it and send it back with certain things reprogramed, plus they can probably do reprograming for a turbo or cams.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts