Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 nissian hard body 4wd v6 5 spd.........So my speedo has gone arwy...sometimes it will work and sometimes not...well now it wont at all...but when i mash the button to clear the mileage, it works until i let off of it...what the world ? Im not very mechanically inclined so any help would be nice thanks.

·
Software Developer
769 Posts
Well, you could fix it. There are 2 main causes: One is the instrument cluster itself, and the other is the speedometer sensor in the transmission.

1) The Instrument Cluster: As the plastic dries out, it shrinks a little and the electrical tape-wire no longer makes contact. Sometimes, you can pull out the instrument cluster assembly and snug down the screws holding the tape-wires in place, and that solves your problems. Sometimes you need to remove the screws, clean off any corrosion from the screw mounts, and then snug down the tape-wires.

There is a write-up on how to do that here:

But, you said that you were not very mechanical. This is electrical, but I understand where you are coming from.

2) The Speedometer Sensor: There is a sensor plugged into the bottom of the transmission that contains a potentiometer. The faster it spins, the higher the voltage that it creates. It's basically just a little electric motor. You can remove the solenoid, spin the gear in your hand, and it should cause the speedometer gauge to move a little. Spinning it creates a voltage, so the faster you spin it, the higher the speedometer gauge reads. If it isn't moving or doesn't move all of the time, the speedometer solenoid assembly is going out.

What you will NOT need is a new speedometer cable. Beginning in 1994, Nissan stopped using the cable. Now there are wires coming off of the speedometer sensor that plug directly into the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks and for the pics too..ill give them a look and stuff later when i get a chance.

Also too everything on the cluster works fine, would that make a difference ?

·
Software Developer
769 Posts
Wow thanks and for the pics too..ill give them a look and stuff later when i get a chance.

Also too everything on the cluster works fine, would that make a difference ?
It's hard to say.

I'd check the speedometer sensor first. It's a simpler job.

If you decide to take the instrument cluster apart, you have to remove the clamshell from the steering column first. It's easy to get off, but be careful putting it back on. The metal screws that hold it in place thread into injection molded plastic. If you try getting the screws tight, the threads in the molded plastic are going to burst on you. I've done it on 2 clamshells before developing light fingers. Nissan used to sell replacements for $200, but they discontinued them because the truck is getting older.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yap i noticed that as they screw next to the fuse panel did NOT wanna come out lol (ive never had them out yet though) but as i was driving home the speedo would stop working then i could tap the button to clear the mileage and it would go back to working and id have to do that several more times b4 i got home.....ive not had to do alot to that truck cause its always been pretty mechanically sound until now, but im not familiar with pulling apart stuff lol so on a scale 1-10 how hard is it to pull the instrument cluster out ?

·
Software Developer
769 Posts
Yap i noticed that as they screw next to the fuse panel did NOT wanna come out lol (ive never had them out yet though) but as i was driving home the speedo would stop working then i could tap the button to clear the mileage and it would go back to working and id have to do that several more times b4 i got home.....ive not had to do alot to that truck cause its always been pretty mechanically sound until now, but im not familiar with pulling apart stuff lol so on a scale 1-10 how hard is it to pull the instrument cluster out ?

It's simple. Just don't break the clamshell cover on the steering column when you're putting it back together.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,531 Posts
In the mid-90s, Nissan had problems with speedometers that stopped working and/or setting of P0500 codes for the vehicle speed sensor. I had worked on a 1995 Sentra that had the issue of the P0500 code triggering despite replacing the VSS. Nissan sent an engineer and a regional rep out to look at the car and the engineer cut right through the main harness so he could take the entire cluster and connectors back to California for inspection. He then soldered on new wires with connectors for the back of the cluster and installed a new cluster assembly. Eventually, they figured out the problem: cracks were developing in the speedo head where the bolts the mounting bolts (which also create the electrical contact to the printed circuit) thread into. You can sometimes tighten the speedo head bolts at the back of the cluster and it may last a while...or a little while.. The fix was to install a new speedo head assembly. Of course, the problem is these days is they may not be available as "new," anymore, so you're stuck with what you can find in an auto salvage yard and hope that part doesn't have the same issue. I've seen it on Hardbodies, Pathfinders, Maximas, Altimas and Sentras.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts