Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wanted to change the gear oil in my tranny and i can't break the pulgs loose is there a special tool to put on these so i can use an impact wrench? Or are they reverse thread or something?
Help my oil gets so thick that i cant shift into 2nd when the temp is below 20 degrees farehight

HELP! Please
THanks in advance

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an impact wrench on your tranny drain plug.
Usually the drain plug is just the end of a 1/2"( or 3/8" depending on the plug) drive socket wrench. If your having problems there then get a 1/2"(3/8") drive breaker bar but I would NOT use an impact.

There is probably a thread lock or FIPG on the end of the plug holding it in a little tighter then you would anticipate. Just get a longer lever. You should be ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i got it the heat worked great but i still need a 3 foot breaker bar. Once i got it out i realized that the thread had been coated in what else but blue locktite. O hell was to be raised with my OLD machanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
not safe but...

The poor mans breaker bar is just slipping a pipe over your wrench. Not safe but tends to work. I've also used an open/closed end wrench as an extension before. That's even less safe. You can also rap the wrench with a hammer. Make it hard, short wacks. It mimicks an impact wrench but with less force and more control. Good luck and try to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.