Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wanted to change the gear oil in my tranny and i can't break the pulgs loose is there a special tool to put on these so i can use an impact wrench? Or are they reverse thread or something?
Help my oil gets so thick that i cant shift into 2nd when the temp is below 20 degrees farehight

HELP! Please
THanks in advance

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an impact wrench on your tranny drain plug.
Usually the drain plug is just the end of a 1/2"( or 3/8" depending on the plug) drive socket wrench. If your having problems there then get a 1/2"(3/8") drive breaker bar but I would NOT use an impact.

There is probably a thread lock or FIPG on the end of the plug holding it in a little tighter then you would anticipate. Just get a longer lever. You should be ok.

·
Registered
18 Posts
fire

I've used a propane blow torch to heat up the plugs before and they loosend up enough to unscrew them. Normal righty tighty, lefty loosey. The transmission wasn't on the car at the time so that helped.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i got it the heat worked great but i still need a 3 foot breaker bar. Once i got it out i realized that the thread had been coated in what else but blue locktite. O hell was to be raised with my OLD machanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
not safe but...

The poor mans breaker bar is just slipping a pipe over your wrench. Not safe but tends to work. I've also used an open/closed end wrench as an extension before. That's even less safe. You can also rap the wrench with a hammer. Make it hard, short wacks. It mimicks an impact wrench but with less force and more control. Good luck and try to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts