Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my first post and I thought it was pretty funny....

No lie, I had just left the dealer with my new Spec V. The odometer read 24 miles and my foot was itching to push it. I would just keep repeating "gotta break it in, gotta break it in" Anyway, I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to change and a blue civic si pulls up next to me. Light turns green and we pull off and I shift into 2nd, si stays in 1st ... then I here him floor it and VTEC going crazy. I went like 3/4 throttle in 2nd and shifted at 5k slowly the Si was redlining and chirping tires and making all sorts of noise and he never passed my back door. The Si had at least I/E ....

thought you guys might like that little story.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Way to break-in the SpecV;) Now don't do that again for at least another 2000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
overall the spec v is way too good...jsut check out the flat specs...intake and exhaust will only give the si maybe 5-10hp MAX if even that. Nice kill....always glad to hear stories.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I shouldnt have done that ... thats why I didnt go full throttle and didnt redline it and shifted easy.....but after having been driving the car all week ... i have to put the cruise control on just to much sure I don't get pulled over for speeding, the car just accelerates so easily...i am sitting in 6th at 60 and resting your foot too much on the gas pedal and your doing 80 in no time.... 2 thumbs up for Nissan.
:D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spec v is not a bad car at all, except it needs at least a 6500 rpm redline and two doors, oh, and most importantly of all. No qr25de. It needs an sr20ve. :D Good old 2.0 litre with variable valve timing and a 7500 rpm red. Now that would have been perfect. Good kill by the way, let taht sucker break in right, or u will be sorry down the road. Way to whoop on the si.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my first new car ... any input on break-in procedure would be really helpfull.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never owned a new car but I would think that you wouldn't want to granny it all the time... You are still going through a time where the ECU is learning the driver and do you want it to think you are an old lady or race driver :) Seriously though I am not saying you should shifting at redline everytime but you should be getting the RPMS up there once and awhile or how else is the car going to break in through out the RPM band!

·
Registered
172 Posts
i follow the its gonna go or blow method of breakin. I used to build race engines for a living and after the initial start up we would take it out and run the piss out of the engine and not once did they ever let go. it doesnt matter if you floor the car or now since its drive-by-wire (no throttle cable) and as far as the engine developing problems later on thats what the extended warranty is for. and just to let you know i have never blown an engine, or caused one ANY oil burning problems. my last vehicle was a 1990 chevy p/u (work truck) i put a whipple super charger on it when it had 75 miles on it. drove it like i stole it evryday. 427,000 miles later i sold it to a friend. he just got done rebuilding the engine and he noted that there was almost no wear on the bearings (all of them) and the rings and cylenders were still in great shape. he started thinking it was a waste to tear it down till he decided to make it a REALLY fun engine. synthetic oil :D so as long as you take care of it it will take care of you.

now it is possible that someone might get an engine thats not as tight, or well built. but with regular service a good engine will last damn near forever.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a thought for you guys,
I've noticed that all these new cars that are coming with more complicated ecu's might actually have a break in program on them ... with the digital odometer its now the computer's responsability to count mileage ... with this the computer now knows how many miles the car has, I also found out that it can actually record your rpm (friend mishifted 02 rsx and popped motor , acura plugged something in and laughed in his face saying the motor rev to exactly 10,462 rpm i'll never forget the look on his face) I've also noticed these cars feeling faster after a few thousand miles ...

what do you guys think?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I also had a friend mishifted his accord with Japspec H22A and spent the thing to 9200 rpm and tagged a valve. If you asked what I think, Vtec is not the answer. That chevy wasn't revving to 9000 rpm either, but who cares about bearings anyway, right? I can't say about american muscle, but I do know import engines, especially ones with alloy blocks expand more than iron blocks, so they need a little more time to seat than what the factory advises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I def. agree w/ breaking in the car very aggressively. My first car was a 99 civic ex 5 spd (im gonna get crap for that...at least there was minmimal rice) I was beating on it w/ 20 miles on the odo. It def had a positive effect on the car before I even did an y work to the car I was beating kids in Si's hanging right there w/ GSR's..none of my friends could figure it out...Hell I couldnt figure it out. After I did basic bolt ons the car was freaky fast for what it was. My point is that I think this was because of the way I broke the car in. As far as longterm affects....well the car was a lease and lets just say w/ 38K miles on it I had a bad tranny,bent valves and lifters.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want freaky fast too, but I dont want bent valves and lifters and a bad tranny at 38,k .... my warranty expires at 36k :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldnt blame the bent valves, lifter, and tranny on the break in..that was just flat out daily abuse.....The fact that I had a 50 shot in there for 2 months didnt help either. i Just broke in my rsx type s..very agressively it now has 4K on it...my friend has one w/ 12k Miles..... He grannyd the car for 3K. we have done rolling starts at identical speed and shifted at identical speeds...mine pulls on him about a half car length...They are both stock and I know no 2 cars are identical but I gotta think the way I broke it in had something to do w/ it

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trust me you're pov is quite appealing but considering everything you hear about proper break in periods etc etc ... its a brand new car and what I'm scared of is it running awesome, running like a champ, and then at 36,001 miles it goes poop.... typical of my luck.
I havea friend who owns a shop and has been building all sorts of motors since he was 16 (now 33) (worked for Crawford Performance back in the day) ... he says give it like 200 miles and go for it ... he always breaks in his motors with 100-200 miles ... I already have 475 so I think the clutch would be pretty broken in by now ... maybe i'll start playing with it tonight :D

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
NismoNx2000 said:
Spec v is not a bad car at all, except it needs at least a 6500 rpm redline and two doors, oh, and most importantly of all. No qr25de. It needs an sr20ve. :D Good old 2.0 litre with variable valve timing and a 7500 rpm red. Now that would have been perfect.
Though th VE is a good engine, (i'm aming for a SR16VE swap for my XE 4dr) i don't think your giving enough credit to the new QR25. This engine in itself is great. its a whole new flavor of horsepower. Its more of a pocket- Tourqe Monster.

this engine holds the kind of neck snapping tourqe that V8 guys live for. 4 cylinders traditionally have to scream to get the power. Personally i hold a lot of respect for this QR25. it leaps like a v8 does, from the very first touch. no "warming up" the rpm's

P.S. the 03 is getting a bit taller gearing, that should help shifting for those who can't preform "Porsche quick" shifting.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
NismoNx2000 said:
Spec v is not a bad car at all, except it needs at least a 6500 rpm redline and two doors, oh, and most importantly of all. No qr25de. It needs an sr20ve. :D Good old 2.0 litre with variable valve timing and a 7500 rpm red. Now that would have been perfect.
Though th VE is a good engine, (i'm aming for a SR16VE swap for my XE 4dr) i don't think your giving enough credit to the new QR25. This engine in itself is great. its a hole new flavor of horsepower. Its more of a pocket- Tourqe Monster.

this engine holds the kind of neck snapping tourqe that V8 guys live for. 4 cylinders traditionally have to scream to get the power. Personally i hold a lot of respect for this QR25. it leaps like a v8 does, from the very first touch. no "warming up" the rpm's

P.S. the 03 is getting a bit taller gearing, that should help shifting for those who can't preform "Porsche quick" shifting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts