Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm a newbie to the Nissan scene, and was wondering how the Spec V stacks up to the competition.

I just purchased a 2003 Spec V. I have been looking around for performace numbers, 0-60, 1/4 mile, but have been coming up short. I have been coming across sites which praise the Spec V for it's handling, but then turn around and ridicule it for the low wheel horsepower/torque numbers as compared to crank. :(

My question is, where does the Spec V stand when confronted by cars such as prelude's, GTI's, RSX. Should I have anything to worry about? :)

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
well consider the amount you spent on it. Not as much as the others you mentioned. However, its DEFINITLY a formidable car! You dont roll away from a spec V easily.

also, check out the forums for relocation of the knock sensor! :p happy hunting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all factory HP/TQ ratings are from the crank and not the wheels. ALL cars and trucks lose from 15 - 25 percent from the factory ratings depending on manual/automatic, final drive ratio, torque converter (if automatic), etc.. A recent article I read on the Dodge Dakota RT showed rear wheel horsepower of 150 on factory rating of 250 HP! The 17% loss on the spec v is normal and not that bad.... By the way, anyone know the final drive ratio on the spec v?

·
Registered
86 Posts
spec v specs

according to car and driver the spec v does 0-60 in 7.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in 15.7. I ran mine with aem cai and finished the 1/4 mile in 15.4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey just to let ya know that i am running 14.5's on i/h/e, stock tires lowered and a body kit. thats all that needs to be said.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BlackSE-RSpecV said:
hey just to let ya know that i am running 14.5's on i/h/e, stock tires lowered and a body kit. thats all that needs to be said.
What kind of springs and body kit do you have?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the GTI question.. my brother has a 2002 GTI 1.8T & my Spec V is faster. I ran a 15.4 to his 15.6 last weekend at the track & I even take him from a roll on the highway.. Not by much, but the GTI is rated at an extra 5hp, plus he has a AEM & blitz turbo bypass valve.. I still pull on him :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the wheel hp for my car is 139.7 and the torque is 147 which is low but i've had a screw pulled out of my #1 cylander and other problems but that another story. my friends car with cai and exhaust had 147hp and 156 torque i also have the same set up as him and another kid with i/h/e had around 154 horse and 160 lb ft of torque

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for double posting but at the track one night there was an rsx that was running about mid to high 15's which is what i run and same as the gti i've seen them with chips and things running low 15's but nothing special you wont have any problem with these cars

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
BlackSE-RSpecV said:
ever had it on a dyno? curious to see what it puts down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rsx haha

yeah so it's a type s so what. as long as you know what your doin' there no problem. Nissans are made to put out so power in the pinch so in the land of imports at least in HHI torque is king. Have fun eating all the cars you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I like to hear

Thanks for the info...

Thanks what I like to hear...that the spec V is on par with those higer priced burners.

:)

So far so good...I'm lovin the car

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a base ser and I ran the 1/4 with a cai in 15.2
many people in spec v's run 15 flat stock.
Also my 0 to 60 time was 6.8sec.w/cai
I put spec v wheels on my car and had the recall done and my 0 to 60 time is now 7.6sec

·
Registered
21 Posts
lol... such ignorance

IBLIS said:
For the GTI question.. my brother has a 2002 GTI 1.8T & my Spec V is faster. I ran a 15.4 to his 15.6 last weekend at the track & I even take him from a roll on the highway.. Not by much, but the GTI is rated at an extra 5hp, plus he has a AEM & blitz turbo bypass valve.. I still pull on him :D

Don't think of how the car compares to the GTI stock, think of the available aftermarket parts. All a 1.8T needs to be in low 14's is a 1.0 bar chip from APR. That's one part. Turbo'd engines are so easy to get power out of, that
I would look into any turbo car before an n/a. And with my Nismo cold air I ran a 15.4 like you other guys. Go Nismo!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thought you guys would like to know. Apex is releasing a variable intake controller for our car, supposedly in April. Should be around $350. There was also an experiment done with an Apex fuel control module, can't remember it's name, that allowed fuel-curve tuning the QR25. Along with intake, header, and a cat-back, one guy ran a 14.0 or 14.1. Interesting how much power might be hiding in that thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh... here's an easy mod or two if you haven't done them yet. The first is a coolant bypass for the throttle-body. There are two black hoses connected to the bottom of the throttle-body. You can disconnect the first pipe from the throttle body and connect it where the other hose is connected to the coolant plumbing. Then connect the pipe still connected to the throttle body to the coolant inlet that you just connected the other hose from. After doing this, you will notice that the engine doesn't lag as much when it gets hot, because the throttle body is sitting at ambient temperature, instead of heating up the in-charged to a possible 160 to 200 degrees or so. Next, the fore and aft engine mounts on our car are terribly soft, and wheel-hop sucks. So you can go down to a hardware store and buy some polyurathane caulking that you would use on windows and stuff, and inject it into those two engine mounts. And our engine has four mounts, so you can take the front and back out and not worry about supporting the engine. Let the caulking cure for about a day or more before reinstalling.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
I have to disagree with murph b/c I roll away from spec-v's pretty easily. I have a friend with one and he is running 9.9s in the 8th and he has just about everything done to his car that is available right now, He got screwed over by some guy in alabama with a turbo kit deal- so now he is ordering one from a company I think is called pti of pfi in Canada- all those people talk and their whole heads move like on south park though- I dont know if Id trust em enough to get a turbo kit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
PTI is on the up and up and their kit seems to be very nice. It puts out over 260whp w/ a safe A/F ratio thoughout the powerband. We can tune our A/F ratio w/ the Apexi SAFCII. Most guys have seen about 8whp from properly tuning the SAFC. The quickest spec I know of on motor has all the bolt ons, cams and SAFCII. He has gone 14.2 I believe. Oh and you WILL not feel a noticable gain from TB coolant bypass. It does cool intake temps if meaured w/ a pyrometer but you will not feel a difference. Nor will you see a gain on the dyno. Believe me I know. I came up the mod and posted the write up on B15 way back when. It cant hurt but it doesnt help much.

·