Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't intend to race the Nurburgring today (which is why there is no video or pictures), but while I was waiting for my friend to race his motorcycle on the short track (there are actually two tracks), I decided to check out the bigger track. When I went there, the main entrance was packed with all sorts of high-dollar, high-performance machinery, but no one was really getting on the track itself. So I slapped down 15 euro and got back into my car.

First, this track is long and curvy. VERY curvy. I've been "training" with the Integra Type R (the car that the Spec V was originally benched marked against) on GT4 and felt fairly confident, but I wasn't going to throw my car into a guard rail on my first lap, so I kept things easy, so I didn't keep track of my time. And let me tell you now that there is nothing more difficult for a driver than to feel big positive G's. I think that I came off the ground at one point. You literally race down one steep hill only to rocket over the next one at speeds that you would only do on the autobahn.

However, with my current suspension modifications (Eibach Sportlines and Nismo anti-sway bars front and back) and all-season tires (PZero Nero M + S), I felt confident that I my car would handle reasonably well given the dry track conditions earlier today. But I was really surprised to find that my car gripped very well and exhibited very little under-steer. I only had to watch it when I was giving power while exiting some tight corners. At no time did the car do anything funny.

I'm sure I could have gone faster, but I didn't know the track, or my car on that track, so I just kept it all fairly aggressive. After this experience I feel that all I needed for my suspension now is a set of Koni Yellows. The stock shocks did very well (it had no problem transitioning from turn to turn and there wasn't a lot of body roll, but they did seem to trip over themselves at times), but I think the Yellows would tighten my suspension a bit.

Having only a pop charger I knew that I was going to feel like I needed more power. The car was eager to please but just didn't charge out of the corners like I wanted. So I'm going to have to get a header now.

Also of note were the brakes. They were magnificent! I knew exactly what was going on at all times, they didn't lock up at all under any of the heavy loads, and they didn't fade one bit.

Once my first and only lap was over, I felt excited, but I didn't want to do it again. I wanted to see if my car had sustained any abnormal wear as well as simply digest the experience. I was happy to find that, with the exception of some visible wear on my front tires, the car was no worse for wear. Best of all, I only lost 3 MPG on my average fuel consumption so I didn't have to fill up for the drive back (the track was a little less than an hour-and-a-half away from where I live.)

·