Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am usually a V8 type guy and am having trouble understanding the exhaust of a 4 cylinder?? :rolleyes:

Looking under the car I can see that you have the header coming off the engine and it connects to the middle pipe which appears to just be basically the catalytic converter. That then connects to the cat-back which "looks" like it has a muffler immediately attached and then pipe and then another muffler at the end with the tips - is that right? Does the stock Spec V have 2 mufflers or am I missing something??

I kinda like the stock sound but don't like the look of the tips, I was thinking about purchasing a Magnaflow mirror finish muffler and having it welded in place of the stock ending muffler . . . what do you think? Would it give some decent sound?? Would it pick up any hp or tq being that those mufflers as straight through with no restrictions??

Sorry for the long email and thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
03SpecV said:
Ok, I am usually a V8 type guy and am having trouble understanding the exhaust of a 4 cylinder?? :rolleyes:

Looking under the car I can see that you have the header coming off the engine and it connects to the middle pipe which appears to just be basically the catalytic converter. That then connects to the cat-back which "looks" like it has a muffler immediately attached and then pipe and then another muffler at the end with the tips - is that right? Does the stock Spec V have 2 mufflers or am I missing something??

I kinda like the stock sound but don't like the look of the tips, I was thinking about purchasing a Magnaflow mirror finish muffler and having it welded in place of the stock ending muffler . . . what do you think? Would it give some decent sound?? Would it pick up any hp or tq being that those mufflers as straight through with no restrictions??

Sorry for the long email and thanks.
The spec v has two cats one in the exhaust manifold and one under the car at the midpipe connection point. The next thing in line is the factory resonator and then the muffler. As for the muffler you may pick up a few hp, but I doubt it the stock system is designed pretty well.

;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!! That is what I kept hearing is that it was a resonator . .that is used to keep sound down right??

I am REALLY thinking the Stillen exhaust is the way to go for me!! On another post someone who has it says it is NOT loud but DOES give a nice throaty low sound NOT ricey . . .that is exactly what I am looking for!! It also looks the way I like with 1 big single tip!!

Now according to Stillen the stock Spec V catback system is in 2 seperate pieces . . the muffler supposedly bolts to the rest of the catback is that right?? So it should be an easy bolt on and I am not really interested in hp from the muffler . . just I HATE the 2 tips that come out!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the Stillen, i actually just got it installed yesterday, and its great, i recommend it, it looks nice too, the tip is big but not too big and the sound is perfect, at times my intake is louder than the exhaust, but only at high high rpm's at the top of each gear.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SE-R420 said:
I got the Stillen, i actually just got it installed yesterday, and its great, i recommend it, it looks nice too, the tip is big but not too big and the sound is perfect, at times my intake is louder than the exhaust, but only at high high rpm's at the top of each gear.
Great to hear!! :D So Stillen was right in saying that the 02-03 Spec V's catback IS 2 pieces?? I mean there is now sawing off the catback to weld in the Stillen is there?? They said there is a flange where the stock muffler bolts to the stock catback and you just unbolt that part of the catback, the muffler part, and bolt up the Stillen . . is that right??

Thanks again for the reply and since I have been hearing REALLY good things about this exhaust I am 99% sure I will be getting it!! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea the stillen exhaust bolts perfectly onto the catback, exactly like the stock exhaust did. No sawing at all, and the mubber hanger mounts just have to be transferred from the stock exhaust to the stillen. It was a 10 minute job to do. I want to also change my piping to 2.25", but i was told that stillen is coming out with catback piping, so i might wait to see wut they got.

Hope this helps,

MiKe

·
Registered
369 Posts
03SpecV said:
Great to hear!! :D So Stillen was right in saying that the 02-03 Spec V's catback IS 2 pieces?? I mean there is now sawing off the catback to weld in the Stillen is there?? They said there is a flange where the stock muffler bolts to the stock catback and you just unbolt that part of the catback, the muffler part, and bolt up the Stillen . . is that right??

Thanks again for the reply and since I have been hearing REALLY good things about this exhaust I am 99% sure I will be getting

t!! ;)
the stillen exhaust is a muffler only not a catback like stromung

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cortrim1 said:
the stillen exhaust is a muffler only not a catback like stromung
Yea, I know . . I meant that even though I said catback!! :)

See I don't want loud, I just want a nicer tone and a nicer looking tip!! Also, according to Stillen a full catback causes a loss in torque . . not sure what truth is in that but at any rate I HATE the way the Stomung exhaust looks!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification though

·
Registered
369 Posts
03SpecV said:
Yea, I know . . I meant that even though I said catback!! :)

See I don't want loud, I just want a nicer tone and a nicer looking tip!! Also, according to Stillen a full catback causes a loss in torque . . not sure what truth is in that but at any rate I HATE the way the Stomung exhaust looks!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification though
the stromung is quieter than the stillen and my dyno results showed no loss in tq or hp. Stillen will tell you anything to sell their product. Even if you lost torque it would be on the low end due to reduced back pressure and that might be a good thing because the car has a tendancy to wheel hop;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response but I think I am going to have to stay with the Stillen! First, I HATE the way the stock exhaust looks and that is the main reason for replacing it - the Stromung looks exactly the same!!

Second, I like the way the Stillen looks and it is about $300 cheaper . . yes, I know it is only the muffler but that is really all I want replaced because of appearence issues!

Thanks though

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyway to record the sound and make it an MP3 or .WAV file?

At what RPMs does it get loud? Is it buzzy loud or what? I love the way my AEM CAI sounds - a low buzz not the whiney high pitched I am a gay ricer buzz.

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts