Nissan Forum banner

Spec V and the Altima 2.5L

16K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Timbuck1 
G
#1 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the 2.5 L is the same 4 cyl. engine that is in the Altima. I would therefore assume that all engine mods for the 2.5 Altima would also fit our engine. My question is......anybody know if cam gears and pullys are available for the Altima 2.5 that just isn't showing up for the Spec V? I've just starting researching this but maybe someone has already done this and either came up empty-handed or has some goodies. What's the word?

#2 ·
nissanspecv said:
I remember reading somewhere that the 2.5 L is the same 4 cyl. engine that is in the Altima. I would therefore assume that all engine mods for the 2.5 Altima would also fit our engine. My question is......anybody know if cam gears and pullys are available for the Altima 2.5 that just isn't showing up for the Spec V? I've just starting researching this but maybe someone has already done this and either came up empty-handed or has some goodies. What's the word?
yes they use the same engine. no there are no pulleys available at this time or cam gears. But if there were they would fit the spec v (I think)

#3 ·
While the Altima and SE-R share the same motor, they do not share the same ECU (to my knowledge). This means that perfomance mods will fit both cars, but the computer will react diffrent to each mod. Also the drivetrain is diffrent so mods like CAI's and Exhausts will not be the same. Mods like Pullys should work on both cars, cams would be a diffrent story again because of the ECU and the way the computer adjusts the power in the SE-R vs. Altima. The exact details and diffrences are unkown becasue there are very few parts out there so far. Also people looking for performance out of the Altima bought the very powerful 245hp V6 trim.

#5 ·
I doubt that the Altima ECU is better, I don't know for sure that either one of them are "better" they just have diffrent applications. I'm not sure what the stock HP on the Altima is??? that would be a good place to start. I do know that becase of the Tranny diffrence the ECU is diffrent, and NOT interchangable.

#6 ·
BlackoutSpecV said:
I doubt that the Altima ECU is better, I don't know for sure that either one of them are "better" they just have diffrent applications. I'm not sure what the stock HP on the Altima is??? that would be a good place to start. I do know that becase of the Tranny diffrence the ECU is diffrent, and NOT interchangable.
the hp rating is the same as the spec v;)

#10 ·
BlackoutSpecV said:
timing is why you would need higher octaine gas. I can't see the altima having the same HP running 87 octaine... it would face even harsher retarding of the timing than the spec v already has with 93...
I know what your saying but nissan lists the hp rating the same.
The turbo muffler bering is responsible for the extra 10hp:rolleyes: :eek:

#14 ·
BlackoutSpecV said:
got it... at first i was like WTF is he going on about then i was like, well i respect his knowledge, so i asked 1/2 thinking it was a joke and 1/2 thinking you had info i did'nt have.
next I am going to install a flux capacitor so I can go 200mph:eek: :D

G
#17 ·
right. The ECU is coded for use with the spec. The 2003 specs have a different tranny, and they use a different ECU.

Nissan claims the exhaust is what gives the spec 10 more hp, not the ECU.

#19 ·
UpChuck said:

I think the flux capacitor was only good for like 88 mph. Then you ended up in a corn field headed for a barn.
I have the new version with the turbo defibulator. Your car hits 200mph and then disapears never to be seen again:p :D

#20 ·
nissan claims it is due to the exhaust thats rather restrictive actually. but its more than likely a more agressive computer map, thus the reason for higher octane fuel. to counter things like detonation, and to run smoothly on a slightly dierent timing map and fuel curve. cause i looked at the exhaust on a spec V and my SE-R and its the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.