Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question but how do I change the spark plugs on the ga16? All of my sockets and spark plug tools will not fit in the sleeve around the spark plug. I have searched and found nothing on how to actually do change them.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
nismo94 said:
I know this is a stupid question but how do I change the spark plugs on the ga16? All of my sockets and spark plug tools will not fit in the sleeve around the spark plug. I have searched and found nothing on how to actually do change them.
IIRC- the spark plugs are a 16mm socket im sure you can go to auto zone or a hardware store and buy that size.
Pull off the wires BY THE BOOT, NOT THE WIRE ITSELF or you will ruin the wires. They(the sparkplugs) tighten if you twist right and loosen if you twist left. After you loosen them until they are unscrewed, use a pair of needle nose plyers or a long skinny magnet and pull them out. Make sure to Put some NGK Plugs in there cause Bosch and most others are crap. Check the gap on the plugs if you have the ga16de the gap should be .0043(43mm) Many reccommend putting antiseize on the plugs threads before putting the in to make it easier to remove later on. Place the new plugs in, and twist them to the right. When they begin to feel tight STOP. Turn them just a little further (the block is made of aluminum and if you overtighten them you will cause major problems-If im not mistaken)PLace the boots back onto the plugs in the correct order and fire it up.

To avoid problems with placing the wrong wire on the wrong cylinder only change one at a time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
btw, that socket is a special socket with rubber inside to protect the spark plug, goto autozone and look for a spark plug socket

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
ifoam said:
btw, that socket is a special socket with rubber inside to protect the spark plug, goto autozone and look for a spark plug socket
exactly, and you'll need a LONG extension handle. Also the rubber holds onto the spark plug and lifts it out for you.

BTW, when you get new plugs get NGK. If you doubt me, do a search on NGK spark plugs.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
xbrandonx said:
BTW, when you get new plugs get NGK. If you doubt me, do a search on NGK spark plugs.

and keep them COPPER. dont waste money on iridium, platinum, blah blah blah

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
NotAnotherHonda said:
and keep them COPPER. dont waste money on iridium, platinum, blah blah blah
I "wasted" money on the iridium.

I got the IX iridium plugs.

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
xbrandonx said:
I "wasted" money on the iridium.

I got the IX iridium plugs.

tisk tisk :rolleyes:

·
Have I Hit 12's Yet?
5,325 Posts
myoung said:
Nothing wrong or wasteful with platinum plugs.. I use NGK/Nissan OEM plats on all my cars..

you dont use platinum on your 1.6 do you?!?!?!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I think I got the problem figured out. I was looking at NGK's website and the ones the guy at Advance Auto Parts were different then the ones listed on the website. Also, they were bigger than 16mm which is why the socket wouldn't fit within the sleeve. I am going to take them back tomorrow and get the right ones. Thanks for all your help.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
nismo94 said:
Alright I think I got the problem figured out. I was looking at NGK's website and the ones the guy at Advance Auto Parts were different then the ones listed on the website. Also, they were bigger than 16mm which is why the socket wouldn't fit within the sleeve. I am going to take them back tomorrow and get the right ones. Thanks for all your help.
Just give Greg a call at Mossy.. Nissan OEM are made by NGK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts