Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Maxima and tried to change the spark plugs. I had no trouble until I tried to take out the left rear (while facing the engine from the passanger side) plug. I found what appeared to be a sleeve that prevented the plug socket from engaging the plug. Can someone tell me how to remove this plug?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
rdw said:
I have a 1998 Maxima and tried to change the spark plugs. I had no trouble until I tried to take out the left rear (while facing the engine from the passanger side) plug. I found what appeared to be a sleeve that prevented the plug socket from engaging the plug. Can someone tell me how to remove this plug?
Was the coilpack intact when you removed it? It should be no different.
 

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
If the coilpack was not intact when you pulled it out then you could try superglue on the original coilpack and reinsert it. Let it dry and then pull it out. 'Should' pop back on but if it doesn't you may need to buy a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaxQuest said:
Was the coilpack intact when you removed it? It should be no different.
Yes the coil pack was intact (looked just like the others) The only difference was the metal sleeve that was (is) stopping the plug socket from fitting over the plug. This sleeve extends from the top of the plug hole to the bottom. No other cylinders had this sleeve. I have owned the car since new and have never had any service done on the engine except oil and filter changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
rdw said:
Yes the coil pack was intact (looked just like the others) The only difference was the metal sleeve that was (is) stopping the plug socket from fitting over the plug. This sleeve extends from the top of the plug hole to the bottom. No other cylinders had this sleeve. I have owned the car since new and have never had any service done on the engine except oil and filter changes.
All the other cylinders have the same sleeve. Are you trying to get at it from an angle? There is some kind of brace that must be removed in order to get to that plug, but I would assume that you removed it already since you removed
the coilpack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spark plug removal

MaxQuest said:
All the other cylinders have the same sleeve. Are you trying to get at it from an angle? There is some kind of brace that must be removed in order to get to that plug, but I would assume that you removed it already since you removed
the coilpack.
The other cylinders do not have the metal sleeve. The sleeve fits over the spark plug, which does not allow the plug wrench to fit over the plugs hex nut. The sleeve is a thin metal tube whos ID is slightly larger than the plug sockets OD. It appears to fit tightly over the plugs hex nut (just like a socket) Any ideas? Perhaps this is part of a factory tool that came off during assembly?
 

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
Wow I've actually never heard of this before. Does it have any edges protruding out or anything? Very strange. Have you owned the car the since it first came out? Maybe someone did something to the engine and this tube was the result of repair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
rdw said:
The other cylinders do not have the metal sleeve. The sleeve fits over the spark plug, which does not allow the plug wrench to fit over the plugs hex nut. The sleeve is a thin metal tube whos ID is slightly larger than the plug sockets OD. It appears to fit tightly over the plugs hex nut (just like a socket) Any ideas? Perhaps this is part of a factory tool that came off during assembly?
That sounds wierd to me. See if you can grab if with a long needlenose plier.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top