Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently that I had discovered Bosch spark plugs in my ’95 200SX SE-R and was told that I should change them ASAP to NGK platinum ones. I believe these plugs are PFR6B-11 (22401-27N66) and at my local Nissan dealer they cost $19 Canadian each.

I was in an auto parts store the other day and they were selling platinum NGK plugs (G-Power I think). The look-up guide said that these plugs were OK for the car. My question is, is there a difference between the OEM plugs that retail at $19.00 vs. the NGK G-Power platinum plugs selling for $4.00?

Thanks.

G

·
I don't think there is any difference between the NGK plugs. Just check to make sure that the numbers are pretty much the same. They may have a different letter or 2, but the numbers should be the same.

And, as a side note - you can run the NGK copper plugs in the SR20 engine. I've had mine in almost a year, and they are doing fine. The platinum plugs will last a lot longer, but since I can by almost 5 sets of the copper to 1 set of platinum, I wouldn't even mind changing plugs every 10k miles. The coppers are supposed to be good for 25k, the platinum for about 50k.

·
Platinum
462 Posts
Good plugs

I would use the regular NGK V-power. Just change them often.. They are cheap, and reliable. From my experience, i liked them better than Platinum tipped plugs. There are so many other plugs with fancy name, package.. but nothing seems to work better than NGK plugs. (my opinion)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Black95SE-R said:
I posted recently that I had discovered Bosch spark plugs in my ?E5 200SX SE-R and was told that I should change them ASAP to NGK platinum ones. I believe these plugs are PFR6B-11 (22401-27N66) and at my local Nissan dealer they cost $19 Canadian each.
PFR6B-11 actually ARE Platinum plugs as evident from the initial "P" in the code. None platinum copper plugs start with a "B" as in "BKR6BE".

I was in an auto parts store the other day and they were selling platinum NGK plugs (G-Power I think). The look-up guide said that these plugs were OK for the car. My question is, is there a difference between the OEM plugs that retail at $19.00 vs. the NGK G-Power platinum plugs selling for $4.00?
Thanks.
Yes. The first ARE platinum, the second ARE NOT. Check the look-up guide, it must show something like BKR6B-9 or close to that. If they actually ARE platinum BUY 100-200 dozen at CAD$4 each and make a 100% profit by selling them at 50% of retail.

In any case, make sure you check the gap before installing any of those. Platinums shoulb be at 1.1mm, non-platinums at 0.9mm.

Chris

G

·
wickedsr20de said:
Any comment on denso irridium plugs?
I dunno about the Denso iridium plugs, but I just ordered a set of NGK Iridium IX's to try them out in my SE-R. They are actually CHEAPER than the OEM platinums, almost by half.

I'll be glad to post initial reactions if you like...

·
Registered
56 Posts
im running the bosch platinums in my se-r and they seem to work real nice they burn a lot hotter than the ones i had in there

·
Registered
413 Posts
For what it's worth:

- The NGK PFR6B-11 is the same as the OEM platinum's
- The NGK BKR6E's (NOT 11's) are the alternate standard copper plugs

The copper plugs are the V-power plugs.

- The BKR6E-11's are the same as OEM for the GA16DE not the SR20DE

Hey shoe, what are the BCPR6ES's for??? Never heard of anyone running those in a SR20 or GA16

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
AltimatSE-R wrote-
are the bosch platinums really that shitty compared to the ngk
My understanding is that the bosch has two problems for the SR20.

One- the electrode is kind of shrouded and wears down, causing the electrode to be kind of recessed. This makes it more difficult for the spark to jump between the proper points.

Two- The end of the bosch plug doesn't end up in the same location as the NGK plug inside the cylinder. Apparently the SR20 is picky about were the spark originates in the cylinder. Too high or low in the chamber and combustion is not optimum.

Of course this is a sore subject for some people. There was even a spark plug dyno shoot out. Both sides maintain their positions as far as I know.:)

I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will speak up.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the denso irridiums and they are ok. Pretty much I change my plugs after everytime I go to the tracks. That is why I bought the denso because my friend said they handle better than the ngk after you race with them. It looks like after 3 times to the track i need to replace them-----My idle is a little rought now and I did replace my wires and cap and rotor so it is the plugs. Now that I think about it just regular ngk is good enough just got to change them. I do not think I will spend that kind of money on irridiums unless I got turbo or something. Just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts