Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever heard of some OBX Racing Sports Ignition wires (10.3mm)?

I had purchased some of these on e-bay and the guy who sold them said he sold 50 pairs of the same wires also compatible for the Honda Civic/ Ac Integra (1.7/1.8L).
This seems like a bunch of crock since I got on the website and all three cars have different part #'s.

I was just wondering has anyone heard of these wires and are these compatible (have a universal fit) with a '96 200 SE-R?

One of the plug wires seems way longer than the longest stock wire so...I'm thinking that I have the wrong part even though the seller's telling me different!!!

Give me your opinion or if you know someone who may have purchased a pair of these let me know....Thanx fellas:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm not 100% positive on this, but isn't 10.3mm just a little on the large size? I mean, most aftermarket wires are 8mm or 8.5mm (at least for our cars). Unless the 10.3mm is the outer diameter of the wires, in which case that's about right. Anyways, I'm not too sure about those wires. I think I'd do a little research on them.

N

·
0 Posts
Don't waist your money.. Stock wires are just as good as wires that will cost you a furtune................. A bigger wire does not mean your going to get a less voltage drop and more sparks to your plugs..... A smaller wire will actually carry more voltage giving you better spark. A smaller wire gives less votage drop because there is not as much area for the spark to travel... Evan if your wires are the same length but have a larger WIRE SIZE there is more area for the spark to travel. Usually around 8mm is the average size of the shielding on the wires... I don't know what the inside of the wire is.... If he is saying 10.whatever mm he is just smozzing... The wires just have a thicker shielding. Bigger wires and ignition boosters are for cars like honda civics that don't have a real ignition system to begin with. (larger wires do work though if you have booster (or something like it)

P

·
0 Posts
shane said:
Unless the 10.3mm is the outer diameter of the wires, in which case that's about right.
It's the overall diameter of the wire. With hot ignition setups there is a chance for arcing to occur between wires when laid side by side or over grounded metal parts over long distances so they increase the amount of insulation. It used to be with point type ignition you would use 7mm wires, electronic went to 8mm (especially HEI) and sometimes 9mm. I believe OEM Nissan's are 8mm. 10.3 is going to be a bear to snap into the holders, it's overkill.

Now about the comment that "A smaller wire gives less votage drop because there is not as much area for the spark to travel" that's a load of crap.

The resistance and inductance of a wires will affect the risetime and current delivered to the plug when it fires, but when comparing two similar constructed cores, the one with the larger cross sectional area will have lower resistance, lower inductance, and will pass more current.

The voltage that is reached is limited to that which is required to fire the plug.

But in this application, it doesn't much matter. What's important is that you don't suffer dielectric breakdown over time.

Hence the frequent comment of "stick to OEM". They're high quality, last a long time, do the job fine, and can be bought inexpensively from a mail order dealer.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
but on a molecular basis, the bigger wires have more conductive material than the smaller ones, hence there is either faster or increased voltage/spark delivery, current is actually the movement of electrons through something, so wouldn't these plug wires apply????

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i say it you are gonna get plugs i highly recommend Stock ones or NGK ... NGK plugs i recommend the most cuz they make really good shiet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would send those crappy e-bay wires back and get a refund, then go buy either oem nissan wires or magnecor kv-85 wires both perform great. As far as plugs go use only NGK...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts