Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently put a set of new BOSCH Plat plugs in my car..The ones in it had gone 100k..I now have 110k..The other day I took a look at them..Well they turn out to be shot..The little bend is all white and the plugs look like the old ones....But I cant find a reason for this to happen..They are the right temp for the engine(factory spec)..I do drive my car hard..Could that be why?

So my question is, is there something I can do?Has anyone else had this? I know that if the car is running lean it will do that to a plug..But I cant change that..Should I replace the plugs again??

Also on top of it I need to change my Wires and Dis. Cap..They are original..Kind of hard with low funds.-Any help on finding a GOOD cheap pair would be great.

Plugs are FR8DPX

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dude do your car a favor, save up your cash and go buy some NGK platinum plugs they work the best on your car. Then go buy the "OEM Nissan" cap, rotor and wires. Your car will run much better. BTW you may wanna change the fuel filter while your at it. Yeah i know buying the best parts aint cheap but in the end getting better performance and mileage will be your payback... :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
There has been an on going war about bosch vs ngk factory plugs on the SR20 for ages. I have no probs running bosch plugs in my car unless I drive it hard and it's extremely hot outside it begins to idle very rough and lose power and even sometimes feel like it's misfiring while idling or accelerating. Only thing I could come up with from personal evaluation is that Bosch plugs run considerably hotter than the stock NGK's and end up preigniting the mix in the cylinder. I went back to factory NGK's (after I sold my first born and my soul to Nissan) and the problem went away. The factory plugs are way overpriced but after you make that switch you'll see why it's worth it.

A

·
0 Posts
I replaced my plugs and fuel filter on my 98 se-r and I started getting much better mileage (I used the NGK platinum plugs and nissan fuel filter). Since then I've also done wires, cap, and rotor all with Nissan parts. My car now gets noticeably better mileage, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I put the good stuff i my car. I would recommend it.

Aaron

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ickys SE-R said:
I recently put a set of new BOSCH Plat plugs in my car...

...Well they turn out to be shot..The little bend is all white and the plugs look like the old ones....But I cant find a reason for this to happen...
You answered your own question. :D

I recently put a set of new BOSCH Plat plugs in my car

Unless you can validate that there are other reasons for your plugs to be toast, the reason you are experiencing this is because they are Bosch plugs.

They are one of the worst plugs to use in a SR20DE. The engines do not like Bosch.

Stick with proven quality and reliability, stick with OEM NGK PFR6B-11(PFR6G-11 new part#) Platinums or BKR6E Coppers.

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
i remember on the First SER.Net Dyno day back in 1999, the Bosch was dynoed back to back w/ the oem NGK platinum plugs - The Bosch platinums lost 1-2 HP compared to the NGK Platinums.

Mike K. - do you still remember the other plugs that where tested?

Tevs

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Sunny said:
i remember on the First SER.Net Dyno day back in 1999, the Bosch was dynoed back to back w/ the oem NGK platinum plugs - The Bosch platinums lost 1-2 HP compared to the NGK Platinums.

Mike K. - do you still remember the other plugs that where tested?

Tevs
Run PFR6B-11's and nothing else unless you are turbocharged or runing big NOS, then run PFR7B-11's.

Bosch Plats suck big ass, the worst plugs I have ever used.

Mike

·
Registered
326 Posts
are these NGKs cold range? BKR5E-11 these are the V-Power ones i just bought today. Although the "5" indictates the range. which is cold but theres a website that says these are for cold range: BKR6E-11

Does anyone know the difference?
And are these spark plugs good?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes they are!

Those plugs are hot...If you want a colder plug than get the "6"..I have the "5"s in my car and they burnt up bad..In only 10k miles...They were platinums..Ya know..change every 60k miles..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts