Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got a question for you, I'm thinking of getting a bike rack that mounts on to the spare tire.

The factory setup for the spare tire mount seems beefy, but bolting on a 20 pound rack + 2 bikes at 40 pounds each seems like a lot. Thats over 100 pounds plus the spare tire.

Has anyone got any experience on the safest amount of weight to throw on the spare tire rack?

The other alternative is throwing the spare tire inside the car saving at least 50 pounds, and then bolting the rack and bikes to the spare tire mount.

I dont have the funds to get a hidden hitch, hence the bike rack.

Any help would be great.

TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Neat idea, I've been thinking about how to haul my bikes as well since I don't have a roof rack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds like you figured out your own solution...if you aren't sure, just remove the tire and place it in the back. But how is the bike rack designed? is it meant to go over the tire or does it secure to the bolts that hold the tire into place?

Personally, I think the spare tire mount can hold the rack and the bikes, but if you don't want to take any chances, just throw the spare in the back...easy enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts