Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any place to get replacement axles for a decent price, I'm looking for new not junkyard? local store has them for $59 each after the core exchange.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
If you can get them locally for $59, I don't think you are going to get much better than that. I paid $60 each here for mine. Plus if you buy them locally, you can just carry the cores in. If they have to be shipped back to anywhere else, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea but i got lifetime axels , i can go off roading or ram curbs all i want now and just get a new one for free

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thanks I was just curious if someplace had them any cheaper, I also noticed on the auto parts website that they have different axles for 2wd and 4wd and manual and auto trannys, I thought from what I've read on here that the 5 speed axles are different from the 4 speed axles? but I don't see any mention of that in the axle descriptions??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the shaft that goes into the tranny is the same but then there is a spacer right before the booty like the last cm of shaft that goes in is a fatter/wider peice and those are the differences in axels not sure if the 4 speeds or 5 speeds are difference with the same year but between other models thats the pita

·
Registered
751 Posts
ahardb0dy said:
ok, thanks I was just curious if someplace had them any cheaper, I also noticed on the auto parts website that they have different axles for 2wd and 4wd and manual and auto trannys, I thought from what I've read on here that the 5 speed axles are different from the 4 speed axles? but I don't see any mention of that in the axle descriptions??
Naw, 4/5 speed axles are the same. Right now I'm running the axles from a 88 4 speed sedan in an 87 5spd coup w/e16i. The stock axles are much more beefier than the sedan's but they seem to be working just fine. Come to think of it, The tranny is from an 87 4dr w/e16s.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Slacky said:
the shaft that goes into the tranny is the same but then there is a spacer right before the booty like the last cm of shaft that goes in is a fatter/wider peice and those are the differences in axels not sure if the 4 speeds or 5 speeds are difference with the same year but between other models thats the pita

Aww, crap man, is there any way to easily take off and replace that lock ring? I pulled off two shafts from a 5 speed tranny to replace the shafts from my 4 speed tranny when I did my transmission swap . . . Oh well

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
idk it depends on the year i guess cus i have axles from a auto 87 sentra and they look identical to 89 5 speed axles so maybe your axles will work 2 ways to find out, compare the 2 of the same side when u pull them out or go to your local parts store and see if the part number is the same for both year/types

·
Registered
751 Posts
Slacky said:
idk it depends on the year i guess cus i have axles from a auto 87 sentra and they look identical to 89 5 speed axles so maybe your axles will work 2 ways to find out, compare the 2 of the same side when u pull them out or go to your local parts store and see if the part number is the same for both year/types
I remember seeing somm about the axle dimensions in the Haynes manual. That's why I was skeptical about putting axles from a sedan into the coup. When trying to compare them side by side, the lengths may be different since the axle joints are designed to move in/out. Wish Blown was around. He knows this stuff really well. I know trannies/axles from any E series are interchangeable but I dunno bout GA's.
Galimba, what happened to your snap rings??? Seems the best bet would be to try to slide it over the end of the axle so you don't open it too far. To get them off, pliers and a good yank.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Yeah, I used a flathead screwdriver to get the lock ring off the groove, and it slid off with no problem. . . I remember that I tried to fit the old axle, but I don't remember if it slid in till the lock ring groove. Hmm, I'll have to try to fit it on again sometime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts