Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 4x4 with a KA24E 4Cyl 2.4L King Cab truck. The truck has 170k on it (167k when I bought it) and I've been going through and fixing all of the problems that I've found. MAF Sensor, Throttle Idle Sensor, Temperature Sensor, Thermostat, Fan clutch and Cat Converter.

The truck STILL lacks power. I understand that it's only a small 4cyl and that the truck is pretty heavy but still think there's something holding it back. Anytime i take my foot off of the gas, there's a very noticeable deceleration. If i'm going downhill and i take my foot off of the gas, the truck loses speed. If i step on the clutch going downhill, the truck maintains its speed but will not gain any speed. Other than those quick tests, I'm just guessing that there's something holding me back.

Tire pressure is fine though the tires that are on the truck are 31x10.5-15 instead of the stock 235/75 R-15.

I see a lot of people suggesting to check the brake drag and check the carrier bearing. How do i check both of these to see if they are causing my problems?

What else should i check?

One last thing....If i had the front hubs locked up, the truck doesn't seem to coast at all in 1st gear. It was hellish trying to pull the thing into my garage with the hubs locked.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
check your caliper slides to see if they are gunked up, to check the carrier bearing, disconnect the d/line on both ends and turn it, if its hard to turn, replace it. be sure to mark the d/line to put it back in correctly otherwise you have a vibration. same with the carrier bearing if you replace it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i didnt think the 4x4s had carrier bearings i have 33x12.50s on my 90 and i can relate to your getting held back but mine dont see much pave.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check your caliper slides to see if they are gunked up, to check the carrier bearing, disconnect the d/line on both ends and turn it, if its hard to turn, replace it. be sure to mark the d/line to put it back in correctly otherwise you have a vibration. same with the carrier bearing if you replace it.
Looking at the service manual, it looks like the rear propeller shaft (2nd tube) disconnects from the differential or on the other end from the center bearing with just 4 bolts. Which side do i want to disconnect it from?

The 1st tube however seems a bit more complicated. How do i disconnect that? From which end?

·
Registered
117 Posts
that is a two wheel drive schematic not a four the four is a one piece drive live and you would unbolt the section form the rear end and cb then replace it

·
Registered
117 Posts
srry didnt see the king cab part my bad

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can check and see if 1 is getting warmer then the others after a short drive, or jack it up and see if 1 rotates a little harder then the others.If 1 does, then you can start checking out what is causing the drag.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
just pull the d/line out, have someone or something hold the center support and turn the d/line. disconnect the 4 bolts on the pinion (rear diff) and the 2 bolts for the center support, and (from the picture) slide the front part out. now if its bolted with 4 bolts on the t/case remove those and it drops out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts