Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. 1997 200sx. BONE STOCK! ;) Some observations. I have had this car about a week now. And tonight I finally got to drive it for real on some country roads I know extremely well.

1. Steering. Understeer must be compensated for. There is a considerable amount. Although I was surprised at how good it felt, I had to pay attention for sure. 85-90 in a 45 corner took experience and skill. I also think the car could seriously use a quick ratio steering box.....turning too far and too much to make it happen ;)

2. Suspension. It handled much better than I anticipated. The stock suspension with 100k miles was still very firm for what it is. Body roll was better than most compact cars I have had (currently also own a 99 civic and have had an Eclipse and Sentra.) All in all, with 1-1.5 inches of height taken out and a little firmer setup this car would rail.

3. Power. Lacking. Plain and simple.

4. Comfort. I felt very at ease driving the car hard. It usually takes me a few miles to get comfy in a new ride, but this car felt good after only a couple corners. I really enjoyed pushing it, and I think with minor mods for handling it would be REALLY fun!

All in all, I think this car has more potential as a "fun" car than anything I have had to date. I don't ever expect to get the power I would want out of it, but I think the handling will be easy to obtain and the car will be a lot of fun till I wreck it :thumbup: :D 7 out of 10 adrenaline rushes :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
91sentra said:
well for the power department you should know that there are so many things that can be done............swap, turbo, NOS, bolt ons, etc etc.
Glad to see your enjoying your car. :cheers:

I agree. But I bought the car to save gas (was daily driving my 454 big block dually) and I dont have the intention of putting that kinda dough into it. I am gonna put some in, but not enough to matter in the engine ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
black_ser95 said:
put a cold air intake, header and catback exhaust :thumbup:

The exhaust seems to be the most restiricting thing on the car. At 6 grand the damn thing feels like backpressure is gonna send the spark plugs into orbit :thumbdwn:

·
cheese
618 Posts
kstrongsyj said:
The exhaust seems to be the most restiricting thing on the car. At 6 grand the damn thing feels like backpressure is gonna send the spark plugs into orbit :thumbdwn:

lol :cheers:

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
we are having a GB on the motiv. mounts and i belive (unless it is a marketing ploy) that they will be discontinued after this. it gives an entire inch back to your suspention travel. also we are having a koni bumpstop GB. :cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exhaust is the worst thing, get a cat-back and swear buy it. Stay away from pacesetter, I bought a kit from the and had to do away with the muffler because it sounded so crappy. Trust me, revving up a pacesetter=getting laughed at. A header is a great idea too. The stock really sucks. I going to get the hotshot for my car. It is the best in my opinion on the market. also the ignition lacks. advance it to 15-16 degrees BTDC will get you more power and not knock on 93 octane pump gas. (Yes, you will have to spend extra for the 93 octane)

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
the reason pace setter sounds bad is because of the tip....the reason it performs bad is because it is 2.25 inch diameter. go to a muffler shop and get a 2in. exhaust with a cherry bomb glass pack muffler as a resonator, a magnaflo muffler of your choice (but make it the same size so you dont get that tin can sound) and keep your cat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cherry bombs are not even sold in CA any more :( They are completely illegal now.

And I wont do the timing cause premo gas here is up to almost 2.50 a freakin gallon and I bought this thing to SAVE on gas :rolleyes:

Exhaust I will do....but not for a little while. I want a quiet system though....a little noise is fine, but I dont want a fart pipe :cool:

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
I said cherry bomb because its cheap, any resonator will do (but if you can mail order a cherry glass pack you will save money) and get the biggest one you can fit in the exhaust (i have yet to get under there and see what it is that will fit) the longer the res. the melloer the sound, and you wont get pulled over and it wont "drone" on the highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the cat-back kits don't have the resonated tips. I still use the tip. Its just stainless steel. 2.25 inches can cause a problem though I've heard. As with the gas, it sounds high were he's at, so maybe a no. But the old saying you get what you pay for always holds true. I'm always looking to make my GA16DE a better performer. When I get the header I will let you guys know how that goes. :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I just say I am stoked. On my way to work this morning got gas. I got 390 miles out of my last tank and it only took 10.5 gallons to fill :thumbup: 37.14 miles to the gallon. :cool:

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
My gas mileage has been going down, way down, seems like every time I fill it up the mileage decreases by a couple miles per gallon or so. I guess it's time for sparkplugs? Or could be the O2 sensor.. I have no clue..

Good to hear that your SX gets 37 to the gallon.. that's incredible.

Edit: I get about 22 right now :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bet a full tune up and new fuel filter will help you out too ;) And check your timing....

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Yeah, a complete tune-up has been in the works for a couple weeks now.. Just when this weekend comes I'm not sure how the hell I'm gonna get my oil filter off.. when I did my last oil change, I couldn't get the filter off... stupid grip wrenches (and 10 degree fahrenheit weather.. doesn't help either).

Edit: I hope it'll fix my ever-decreasing gas mileage :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's ghetto style but I have been known to drive a screwdriver through it to get a stuck filter off :D Makes a mess but it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts