Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and i found the drain plug to be not working, it doesn't tighten or lossen. how can i fix this? a new drain pan? i always used to take it to walmart to get it done and theres a bunch of blue stuff of the screw.

any advise?

thanks

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
you just need to try harder. The blue stuff on the bolt could be thread lock which would be what is making it so hard to get off. You actually took your car to WALMART???? That is weird, theyre getting into everything these days. Try using a socket wrench with a pipe on it for more leverage but dont strip the bolt, then afterwards get a new bolt and washer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would crank it loose and it would just keep going and going and going, then id try to tighten and it would get tight for a little and then it would get loose again..

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
o its stripped, uh oh , try gettin a new pan and plug and.... umm idk just take the old one off either full of oil, or drill a hole in it i guess to drain the oil out

·
Registered
450 Posts
You can check the Auto parts stores. I think they have a plug or repair kit made for this situation. Not sure how it works, just read it on another forum. So, it may be good to call around and see what is available. I tried searching the internet, and came up with another option:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Not that I recommend a fumoto valve, but you would not need to remove it. I dropped my pan last winter to replace the gasket. Believe me, you want to try other options first. It was a pain. Also, I have heard of the rocket scientists at the quick lube places using an impact wrench on an oil drain plug. Who knows what they did?

·
Registered
450 Posts
bII said:
I wouldn't risk it, get a new pan, you either overtightened it or someone else did. Borrow a car, head ye to a dealership or where ever you can get an oil pan and replace. Its a critical part.
I guess I am to the point of creative problem solving with my Sentra. Yes, the pan is very important. If there is any doubt that a plug/thread repair kit will not work, or you don't want a fumoto plug, then a pan is about the only option. In my youth, I stripped out the drain plug on my Pinto. I had someone braise a bolt with the appropriate thread size to the bottom of the pan. It worked great. So, there may be several things that will work. I guess it depends on time, finances, etc. Since I removed a pan I would try other options first if it were my car. It will also be expensive if you need to buy a new pan.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
yeah...i wouldn't really replace the pan yet. that is expensive. get thebolt out, and retap the hole with the next size up. figure 3 bucks for a bolt and possibly 30 for labor. shouldn't be bad.

the cool things about machines is that you dont need to replace something just cus its broken, there are other ways.

and oh yeah: quick lube places are full of high school kids who are about as smart as the wrenches they use. they are notorious for two things.

first: putting the wrong weight oil in(alway always alway they put 10w30 in). they dont car what weight the car is supposed to take (almost all cars take 5w-30).

second: overtightening plugs/filters and thus damaging the gaskets and sometimes even threads.

i have to replace the gaskets (both plug and filter) on my girlfriends car sometime because of the "special" mechanics at some quick lube place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If Wal Mart changed your oil last, they stripped it. Tell them to buy you a new pan and replace it or reimburse you for repairs, or you're gonna talk to your lawyer. But don't tell them you tried to change it, tell them your mechanic saw the loc tite on the plug when it was in the air for something else. Otherwise, Wal Mart will say you did it and they won't pay. Drain plugs never need loc-tite. Scmuck-Mart tightened it too much and stripped it, then gooped it up with loc-tite and tightened it as much as they could before it slipped and left it. You probably would've been better off if it fell out and your engine blew, so good luck.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
/\ buahahahaha!!! walmart isn't going to care about your car. if you cant prove, without a doubt, that walmart did it, they wont do a god damn thing.

if you say the mechanic found it, they'll say the mechanic did it and tried to blame walmart, simple. they dont care about you, or anyone. walmart cares about the $$$$$$

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ifoam said:
i would crank it loose and it would just keep going and going and going, then id try to tighten and it would get tight for a little and then it would get loose again..
You can get it out by wedging a thin screwdriver blade between the plug and the pan. Keep pressure on it as you turn the bolt, and it will come out. If a screwdriver won't fit, use a wood chisel.

Lew

·
Registered
35 Posts
That blue stuff isn't for "gouping it up". It is to say that they did their work and shows that if you mess with it, the "goup" will crack and you cannot say they broke it or whatever, like a lawsuit. It is a security agent for Wal-Mart. It's not to make it so the screw cannot come out of the oil pan. Trust me, I know this. I get my oil changed at Wal-Mart all the time, for many reasons.

1. I never have time.
2. I know the people that do it, and they're FAR from high school kids.
3. It's quick.

They do know what they're doing, and I watch them through the whole process and make sure they're doing it right. Maybe some places have the high school kids working there, but not the one I go to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys, i got a new "oversized bolt" that should taps the threads again.

i doubt walmart will even consider paying me back. just never again :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts