Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was crusing around with my friend in his camero going about 100mph then he slowed down pretty fast so i had to hit the brakes and after we came to a complete stop i noticed there was smoke coming from both sides of the hood first i thought it was somthing inside the motor compartment then i noticed a really bad stench of burning brakes. Do you think i need to replace my pads or are the stock brakes just not capable of doing that much brakeing. Thanx

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
240sxs1377 said:
I was crusing around with my friend in his camero going about 100mph then he slowed down pretty fast so i had to hit the brakes and after we came to a complete stop i noticed there was smoke coming from both sides of the hood first i thought it was somthing inside the motor compartment then i noticed a really bad stench of burning brakes. Do you think i need to replace my pads or are the stock brakes just not capable of doing that much brakeing. Thanx
My Brake pads smoked for a while when i first replaced them, but I would say that is more of an issue due to stress, 100mph to 0mph takes alot of stopping power, creating alot of friction and heat if required in a short stopping distance!
Woot 300ZX brakes! :thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah

DaCheat said:
My Brake pads smoked for a while when i first replaced them, but I would say that is more of an issue due to stress, 100mph to 0mph takes alot of stopping power, creating alot of friction and heat if required in a short stopping distance!
there are a few explinations here for the smoking wheel wells. 1- you don't use your brakes hard enough on a consistent basis to keep them properly bedded in and heat treated (yes, this applies to even non-performance pads). 2- there was still oil buildup inside the rotors, which i doubt, but it is possible. new rotors are covered in a packing oil to eliminate rust pre-install. 3- cheap pads/rotors. heat+oils+dust+tires=smoke. I am using the stoptech stage 2 brake kit and absolutely love it. i reccomend cutting the dust shields though. the braking performance is consistent and doesn't fade much even after an extended run. doesn't cost much more than stock replacements. just a thought. after that run i would still check out the pads and rotors just to make sure they are ok.
peace
t

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
dj42000_2000 said:
there are a few explinations here for the smoking wheel wells. 1- you don't use your brakes hard enough on a consistent basis to keep them properly bedded in and heat treated (yes, this applies to even non-performance pads). 2- there was still oil buildup inside the rotors, which i doubt, but it is possible. new rotors are covered in a packing oil to eliminate rust pre-install. 3- cheap pads/rotors. heat+oils+dust+tires=smoke. I am using the stoptech stage 2 brake kit and absolutely love it. i reccomend cutting the dust shields though. the braking performance is consistent and doesn't fade much even after an extended run. doesn't cost much more than stock replacements. just a thought. after that run i would still check out the pads and rotors just to make sure they are ok.
peace
t
How can you use a brake kit and not cut the dust shield (it's actually a splash shield)? My Z32 rotors wouldn't fit inside the splash shield, so I cut it up like it was in a Scream movie. Non-vented brakes smoke after brake fade no matter what, because of the combustion of gas buildup. This is the only explanation for smoking brakes. My best friend's BWM has massive 4-piston calipers, and they still fade and smoke to hell during 100-0 stops. Ventillation is the way to stop brake fade and gas combustion.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
DaCheat said:
Speak of the Devil, I just got a new (well, used) set of Z32 300ZX brakes in. I tested the calipers, and the pistons were in great shape, so no need for rebuild. I loaded the calipers, and the brakes came with a good set of rotors. I'll throw in a brake line kit for free. I could sell you this set now for $200.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for all the info. I dont have any money right know to pay for those but maybe when i get payed i will. So to keep my brakes in conditioned formed i should stop hard at all the stop signs?

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240sxs1377 said:
Thanx for all the info. I dont have any money right know to pay for those but maybe when i get payed i will. So to keep my brakes in conditioned formed i should stop hard at all the stop signs?
Or don't cruise with your fool friend and his Camaro. :)
Vented brake pads and vented rotors would help, but basically just don't push your brakes so hard that they fade. Brake fade can be really frightening.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
bridrive55 said:
Speak of the Devil, I just got a new (well, used) set of Z32 300ZX brakes in. I tested the calipers, and the pistons were in great shape, so no need for rebuild. I loaded the calipers, and the brakes came with a good set of rotors. I'll throw in a brake line kit for free. I could sell you this set now for $200.
$200USD? How much would you want to ship them Brian?
I need bigger brakes, and was told not to convert the rear ones to Z32 brakes, so I should only need the one set, Does this sound right?
:idhitit: if I can get some money!

·
Registered
319 Posts
What kind of rotors are you selling? What size too. I'm gettin some 26mm powder coated right now and still need pads, rotors and brake conv. lines. can you give me more detail cuz if everything checks out i'll buy the pads rotors and lines off you no prob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts